Current BMW 3 Series

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
waremark

Re: Current BMW 3 Series

Postby waremark » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 am

Silk wrote:Of course there But what do I know? :?

Quite a lot, it seems!

I recently test drove convertibles with my daughter: 220, A3, C class. The BMW had the worst ride and was the loudest. It came third. Yes it was an M Sport but the others were equivalents. Why do the dealers spec their demos that way? She is getting a C Class in non-AMG Line form - saves £1200 for like equipment and will ride better (although the ride wasn't bad on the AMG Line demo).

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Because dealers think, with some good reason, that people like the bling.

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Well I'm a sucker for a bit of bling and there's no doubt a new BMW is a thing of beauty IMO. I want to like it.
If the rest of it was as good, I'd probably buy one. In fact, I may get one anyway and pretend it's wonderful just so the neighbours can see how good my credit score is. :-)

Anyway, the Mazda 6 arrives tomorrow. Review to follow...

slicknic

Postby slicknic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Silk wrote:I've just had a new (17 plate) 3 Series for a 4 day test drive with a view to getting one. I just wanted something a bit nicer compared to my Pug 308 which, lets be fair, is not too hard.

The problem is, the car looks fantastic inside and out but it was so uncomfortable to drive I'll probably have to pass. Seats hard, ride hard, gear-change stiff, steering heavy. In other words, extremely disappointing. Everyone else I took out in the car said the same.

I'm not having a go at BMW. I just wanted to know if this is a common experience. I haven't been aware of any problems when I've driven or been driven in older models.

This is something I struggled with when I changed from a hydro-pneumatically riding Citroen to my current Beemer, and it took me a while to get used to it. The seats are hard, but actually not too much of a problem for me. I have my own in-built padding. I regularly head up to the north of England and back in a day, and the seat comfort is ok.

It was the ride that took a while to get used to, but now I am happy with my choice. At least I now have a car that is capable of being hustled along a country road.

My car has run flats on 19" wheels. The Citroen had 19s too, but not run-flats. The Citroen was also susceptible to punctures and wheel damage from pot-holes etc because of the low profile nature of the tyres, and the chocolate alloys. I have not (touch wood :lol: ) had a puncture or any tyre damage on the Beemer yet, and I think a lot of this has to do with the toughness of the side-wall of the run-flats. Good job too as the Beemer has no jack or any other equipment for dealing with punctures.

Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:35 pm

slicknic wrote:
Silk wrote:I've just had a new (17 plate) 3 Series for a 4 day test drive with a view to getting one. I just wanted something a bit nicer compared to my Pug 308 which, lets be fair, is not too hard.

The problem is, the car looks fantastic inside and out but it was so uncomfortable to drive I'll probably have to pass. Seats hard, ride hard, gear-change stiff, steering heavy. In other words, extremely disappointing. Everyone else I took out in the car said the same.

I'm not having a go at BMW. I just wanted to know if this is a common experience. I haven't been aware of any problems when I've driven or been driven in older models.

This is something I struggled with when I changed from a hydro-pneumatically riding Citroen to my current Beemer, and it took me a while to get used to it. The seats are hard, but actually not too much of a problem for me. I have my own in-built padding. I regularly head up to the north of England and back in a day, and the seat comfort is ok.

It was the ride that took a while to get used to, but now I am happy with my choice. At least I now have a car that is capable of being hustled along a country road.

My car has run flats on 19" wheels. The Citroen had 19s too, but not run-flats. The Citroen was also susceptible to punctures and wheel damage from pot-holes etc because of the low profile nature of the tyres, and the chocolate alloys. I have not (touch wood :lol: ) had a puncture or any tyre damage on the Beemer yet, and I think a lot of this has to do with the toughness of the side-wall of the run-flats. Good job too as the Beemer has no jack or any other equipment for dealing with punctures.

Having been driven in your Citroen, that sounds like one hell of a contrast! Comfort is what the French do best.

I'm sure I could find a Beemer that rode ok, as long as I forked out for adaptive suspension and lumbar support etc. but, even with my generous discount, I'd be talking serious money. In the end, it's just not worth it. I'm loving my Mazda 6 demo car so far - it's more me and and much cheaper.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:07 am

i find both my BMWs cmfortable, but the newer is over 14 years old...
both hold the road well, so there is no need for discomfort in a car

Alasdair

hir

Postby hir » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:51 am

akirk wrote:... I find both my BMWs comfortable, but the newer is over 14 years old...

Alasdair

... which was built just before BMW went exclusively runflat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:47 am

hir wrote:
akirk wrote:... I find both my BMWs comfortable, but the newer is over 14 years old...

Alasdair

... which was built just before BMW went exclusively runflat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Efficient Dynamics doesn't have them.

Return to “General Chat”