Rule of Thirds - Overtaking

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Rule of Thirds - Overtaking

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:57 pm

jont- wrote: Car in the junction arguably not going to go due to the target anyway?

Yes indeed . . . no-one ever does anything daft on the roads . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 pm

jont- wrote:On the second one, I think the view was there long enough to be confident that you'd have seen anything you need to worry about coming out of the dip, going into it.

That sounds like relying on local knowledge as to there being nowhere for a car to stop and then pull away unsighted.

jont- wrote:First one - react to the hazard, not the sign/paint. Car in the junction arguably not going to go due to the target anyway? Although if they turned out right (maybe due to doing a u-turn to explain the odd position) it might have been "interesting".

Arguably. But not certainly. And yes, if he turned right it could get quite interesting.

I am sure that there are subtleties in both examples that it is not possible to appreciate from a video and I am confident that Reg was perfectly happy with both or he wouldn't have showed them. Based on what I can see in the video, I would not have gone on either. It may be different if I were behind the wheel.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

I found it interesting how, in some of the commentaries, he was calling out information about things I couldn't see.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 pm

I wonder if that is due to the deficiencies in the camera used, compared to the mk1 eyeball that he was using to inform his commentary?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:I agree, not on. I don't particularly like the overtake of the bike into dead ground at 24:30 either.

Agreed. There's a few 'rollerskate' drivers on here who could be hiding down there. ;)

Wasn't this discussed on the old forum (rip)?
It's here:
https://goo.gl/maps/MdvAq46wLZG2

They've added the SLOW and double bend sign since the google car.

I went and drove it - wasn't comfortable being where he was, but then I haven't had his training. Coming back the other way is fine.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm

The problem with looking at things on video is that the image is necessarily distorted. Perceived distance and field of view are not the same as for the MK1 eyeball. The google car is even worse because the camera is about 8 feet in the air. In an MX5 or a Caterham you are *considerably* lower and that dead ground would be a lot worse.

I can't help thinking that there was a fair element of reliance on local knowledge (no pun intended) in Reg's overtake. If I were there in person and had the same level of insight then perhaps I would think differently.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 pm

crr003 wrote:Wasn't this discussed on the old forum (rip)?

Here? Or, more likely, here.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 am

The same overtake can be seen in a Tesla, here (11:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPhbZ33eU-I

I still don't like the view.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:10 am

Not sure if I've posted these on this forum before. Here's a few overtakes by me. I've already have a feeling which one will draw the most comments. ;)

These ones are on a Honda ST1300. The camera is central just above the headlight.

This one I'm the bike being filmed. Camera just below the headlight of the noisey KTM. The commentary, while recorded live, was not heard by me at the time.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 am

Gareth wrote:
crr003 wrote:Wasn't this discussed on the old forum (rip)?

Here? Or, more likely, here.

Blast from the past!
It was a bit more recent on the IAM Forum I think.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”