Is it just me?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
CautiousD

Re: Is it just me?

Postby CautiousD » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:54 pm

My email to Rob:
"Hello Rob, I have been a member of ADUK for a few years. I have recently been lead to believe that ADUK now has some link with BRAKE but have not seen any evidence to support this, either on BRAKE's website or anywhere on ADUK. Can someone please clear this matter up for me, either to confirm or deny it and to inform me of exactly in what ways ADUK supports BRAKE, if it does.
Many thanks, D"

Rob's reply:
"Hi D, I think there is a lot of uncertainty around this, since we bought the website. ADUK does not support Brake. People initially got confused as we also own Drivers Domain UK which is another driver training website, which advertised the fact we had sponsored one of Brake's fleet driver training research projects. Thats it..

ADUK does not promote or support Brake on the site. That doesn’t mean we have an issue with them, we don’t. But hopefully that clears any confusion.

Many Thanks

Rob Morgan
Head of Driver Training"

Aside from this, BRAKE are supported and sponsored by many large organisations, which, even if one wanted to distance oneself from, might prove to take the form of cutting yer nose off to spite yer face. eg. VOSA, Bridgestone, IAM.... Diageo.... see now there's a thing. Diageo are an enormous owner of booze brands and also sponsor BRAKE, which could take the form of relating it to drink-driving, if you mentally squinted at it hard enough.
As for Rob's business dealings, I could not care less. I don't know what our own forum hosts do, nor is it any of my business, so i'm not buying into the whole ADUK-BRAKE, 'not using my posts to boost his bank balance' malarkey. More to the point, BRAKE do some incredibly valuable work with those affected by road accidents and deaths, so praise where it's due because you won't find many people who relish doing that job.

But here we are and long may it remain so. My gratitude to our host for making this possible and once more, how about moving on from ADUK/Rob bashing to other more interesting things? 80 something members and growing isn't to be sniffed at.

All the best,

Cautious D.

hir

Postby hir » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Playtent wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:I agree that further training is good. I'm not entirely convinced that *any* further training is necessarily good but hey, I'll give the benefit of the doubt. Reading his site, I am quite interested in exactly who these DVSA advanced trainers are? Are they really just ADIs - I assume they MUST be ADIs - who do a bit of "AD" (but not as we know it) on the side?

On one of his Piston Head posts discussing Supercar driving courses he was trying to set up, he mentions he uses the same instructors as the IAM use!

I wasn't aware that DVSA provided instructors for the IAM?

The IAM use ADIs to deliver their Skill-for-Life Fast Track scheme. This is where the Skill-for-Life course is compressed into two or three days. However, it's possible that this scheme has now been abandoned by the IAM, I did hear rumours to this effect, because much of the time the results were very poor and the groups have often stepped in after the event to bring the associate up to an acceptable standard.

It's possible that this is what the site was alluding to when claiming to be using the same DVSA instructors as the IAM.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:33 pm

CautiousD wrote:Aside from this, BRAKE are supported and sponsored by many large organisations, which, even if one wanted to distance oneself from, might prove to take the form of cutting yer nose off to spite yer face. eg. VOSA, Bridgestone, IAM.... Diageo.... see now there's a thing. Diageo are an enormous owner of booze brands and also sponsor BRAKE, which could take the form of relating it to drink-driving, if you mentally squinted at it hard enough.

You are free to see, or not see, the link as you see fit. As is everyone else.

CautiousD wrote:As for Rob's business dealings, I could not care less. I don't know what our own forum hosts do, nor is it any of my business, so i'm not buying into the whole ADUK-BRAKE, 'not using my posts to boost his bank balance' malarkey.

Fine. That's your opinion, to which you are entitled. The fact the he bought a well established site that has its reputation pretty much exclusively from the forum and uses that to drive traffic to his business site, that makes him a leech, IMO, to which I am entitled.

CautiousD wrote:More to the point, BRAKE do some incredibly valuable work with those affected by road accidents and deaths, so praise where it's due because you won't find many people who relish doing that job.

Nobody was decrying or belittling the good work that Brake do in the field of victim support. If they would stick to that then there would be no problems. The conflict arises when they advocate and promote their more lunatic policies. Unfortunately, Brake ceased to be just a road safety charity some time ago. They are now a powerful lobby group that find it very easy to get a platform from which to broadcast and, from a PR perspective, big companies want to be seen to support "saving lives".

CautiousD wrote:But here we are and long may it remain so. My gratitude to our host for making this possible and once more, how about moving on from ADUK/Rob bashing to other more interesting things?

Please don't tell people what they can or cannot post. If you don't like it then you have the option to not read it. I'm sure there is plenty of activity on ADUK if you want to avoid people discussing this situation.

CautiousD

Postby CautiousD » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Seldom am I stuck for witty retorts but that was the mother of all attempts at forum G4S. Stunning. Apparently we are free to hold opinions where and when we like, sort of. Happy days. :lol:

Anyyyywayyyy ADUK unequivocally doesn't support BRAKE, according to its owner.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:02 am

CautiousD wrote:Seldom am I stuck for witty retorts but that was the mother of all attempts at forum G4S. Stunning.

What the **** is a "forum G4S"?

CautiosD wrote:Apparently we are free to hold opinions where and when we like, sort of. Happy days. :lol:

Yes. That's correct. I'm glad that you understand. :roll:

CautiousD wrote:Anyyyywayyyy ADUK unequivocally doesn't support BRAKE, according to its owner.

Rob can say whatever he likes. The evidence says otherwise.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:09 am

Great to see lots of passion :) but it probably distracts a little from the main purpose of the forum... Happy to welcome all here... There will be many different reasons why folks move over here, but we don't need to turn it into a slanging match about Rob, he is simply running a business and doing what he thinks is most commercial.. Whether long term that helps build a forum or not on his site we will see, but for now lets focus on this community :)
Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”