Speed Awareness Course and BRAKE

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
crr003

Speed Awareness Course and BRAKE

Postby crr003 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:48 pm

BRAKE person wrote:9) If you get a speed awareness course, you don't have to declare it on your insurance - False

Brake says: “Drivers who fail to reveal that they have undertaken a speed awareness course, who then later make a claim to their insurance provider, may find that their policy is invalid. Information on whether a driver has taken a speed awareness course is held by local police forces."

From here.

I've heard that Admiral ask directly about SACs and increase the premium accordingly, but does anyone know of other insurance companies directly asking about SACs?

I thought "what happens in SAC stays in SAC" was the way it worked - otherwise if avoiding the points still gets you an insurance increase, why not just take the points? Might put a lot of NDORS instructors out of work though.

AndyP

Re: Speed Awareness Course and BRAKE

Postby AndyP » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:52 pm

It still seems to vary with Insurance Companies.

My Sis -in-law asked her company, they were not interested so [against my advice] she took the points.
Andy
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Certainly a lot of the motorcycle insurers have been asking this for some time now.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

martine

Postby martine » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:41 pm

To my knowledge it's only Admiral who ask: "Have you attended a Driver Diversionary course" (aka Speed Awareness, Driver Alertness, What's driving You, Driving for Change etc) in the last 3 years?".

They caused surprise amongst road safety organisations, police, the ABI and other insurers when it became apparent they were penalising policyholders for choosing to do a driver education course.

My understanding is if they ask you: "Have you been prosecuted in the last 3 years" you can truthfully say "No" (the courses are an alternative to being prosecuted) but if they ask you about courses then you have to be honest or risk having your insurance voided and breaking the law (no insurance and/or fraud).
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:03 pm

martine wrote:My understanding is if they ask you: "Have you been prosecuted in the last 3 years" you can truthfully say "No" (the courses are an alternative to being prosecuted) but if they ask you about courses then you have to be honest or risk having your insurance voided and breaking the law (no insurance and/or fraud).

Just say you answer "no" to an insurer's SAC question.
You have a bump.
How does the insurance company know you've attended a SAC to "void" your insurance - that information is held by the Police? Isn't there a DPA thing here?
I can understand their argument that you've been caught speeding and therefore need to be punished further, but where does it stop - "have you made a SID show a frowny face?" That's speeding too..........
If it's not deemed serious enough for Police/CPS to prosecute, why should insurance companies care?

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:13 pm

crr003 wrote:"have you made a SID show a frowny face?" That's speeding too..........

Hah. If only. Fed up of the number of them that go off if you're doing under the limit. No wonder people ignore them :roll:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:34 pm

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:"have you made a SID show a frowny face?" That's speeding too..........

Hah. If only. Fed up of the number of them that go off if you're doing under the limit. No wonder people ignore them :roll:

Ha ha. That is so true of the fixed signs that nag you reminding of the posted limit. They all seem to go off incorrectly.

However, I impressed myself and my riding partners this week :roll: Around here we seem to have signs that display your REAL speed (unlike your speedo!). On a ride out hunting bacon Image as lead rider I made 5 consecutive displays show exactly 30 and my GPS wasn't switched on. :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:36 pm

crr003 wrote:If it's not deemed serious enough for Police/CPS to prosecute, why should insurance companies care?

Because they work on probability.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:If it's not deemed serious enough for Police/CPS to prosecute, why should insurance companies care?

Because they work on probability.

Oh, I'm sorry - I read that as 'profitability' first!

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 am

martine wrote:To my knowledge it's only Admiral who ask: "Have you attended a Driver Diversionary course" (aka Speed Awareness, Driver Alertness, What's driving You, Driving for Change etc) in the last 3 years?".

Perhaps they see it as a *good* thing, that you'll be a better driver afterwards? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”