Double White Line Meaning?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.

What does a solid double white line along the centre of the road mean?

No Overtaking
37%
No Reversing
9%
No Parking
54%

Total votes: 35

TheInsanity1234

Re: Double White Line Meaning?

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:41 pm

Revian wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:In my defence, I never once read the Highway Code...

I wouldn't advise the use of that as a defence... :D

Ian

Well, I didn't need to, I managed to pass the theory test at 13 years old on my second ever attempt at a mock one... :mrgreen:

Revian

Postby Revian » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:53 pm

But you might need to.... ;-)
Ian

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Well, that's the wonderful thing about this country, provided my insurance is all well and good, and I'm not caught speeding twice in the next two years, I will never need to test my knowledge of the Highway Code ever again.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:09 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, that's the wonderful thing about this country, provided my insurance is all well and good, and I'm not caught speeding twice in the next two years, I will never need to test my knowledge of the Highway Code ever again.

Except every day out on the road ;)
I know this a bit tongue-in-cheek, but if more drivers kept up to date with the Highway Code we might have less issues out on the road... I suspect a lot of folks would be surprised at how it has changed...
Alasdair

Revian

Postby Revian » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:19 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Well, that's the wonderful thing about this country, provided my insurance is all well and good, and I'm not caught speeding twice in the next two years, I will never need to test my knowledge of the Highway Code ever again.

I really don't understand this? It's not about being caught... but about being a knowledgeable driver... And a safer driver. Homework....me thinks...for you.

Better than forum posting for a while?
Ian

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Perhaps I should've put in [/sarcasm] :lol:

Revian

Postby Revian » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:41 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Perhaps I should've put in [/sarcasm] :lol:

I'm not sure you've got space for that... ;)
Ian

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:54 am

There seems to be an awful lot of very long ghost islands ... double broken white lines with chevrons ... in the last few years. Sometimes they go on for miles. Obviously traffic engineers and local authorities seem to like them. They can of course be crossed, but the message seems to be "you may cross these if you REALLY have to, but we'd rather you didn't ..."

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:00 am

Triquet wrote:There seems to be an awful lot of very long ghost islands ... double broken white lines with chevrons ... in the last few years. Sometimes they go on for miles. Obviously traffic engineers and local authorities seem to like them. They can of course be crossed, but the message seems to be "you may cross these if you REALLY have to, but we'd rather you didn't ..."

the irony with them is that I think the legal meaning is basically don't enter unless clear to do so - which kind of sums up every bit of road :D

I have also noticed this - plus an increasing use of the white return arrows before them - which tell you that you are an approaching a place where you will need to be on your side of the the road, so get back on your side of the road... now the interesting question of course is that in putting those two together there is a slight conflict - a road marking telling you to get back on your side road pre-empting a moment when you will need to be on your side of the road (e.g. solid white line ahead), yet the moment they are warning about doesn't require you to be on your side of the road and can be crossed easily, so why are the arrows there - technically incorrect?

Alasdair

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:38 pm

It's just the nanny state - idiots have come to grief by being on the wrong side of the road, so although there is no real hazard, or none that can't be spotted by an alert motorist and avoided, even if at some times of day there might be one, everybody has to be shepherded back to the nearside, for the sake of the LCD idiots.
Nick

Return to “General Chat”