Unpoliced 20 limits

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
GTR1400MAN

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 03, 2017 8:53 pm

crr003 wrote:The second one I actually laughed out loud

Come to Suffolk you'll be grinning ear to ear. Plenty more examples of the "all villages must be 30 policy". AKA "30 where there's the slightest sign of habitation by humans". Mostly un-enforced unless there's a particular campaign on. Tailgaters dream and nightmare to anyone who stick to the rules. Even riding at SatNag adjusted speeds there is always someone on your rear, trying to read the postcode on my number plate!
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:19 am

crr003 wrote:Let's stop messing around - it's clear how pedestrian road safety will be improved:

(bazinga)

In London at Crystal Palace there is a memorial to the first recorded fatal collision between a car and a pedestrian. It happened whilst cars were still required to have the red flag man in front.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10987606

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 am

akirk wrote:I am not bothered by those as limits - however, not so sure that I always like the reasoning and logic behind them - it is often not driven by safety which would be fine and make sense - but is very often (around here) nimby attitudes and a dislike of motorists... There have been several cases of locals being vocal about speed limits being ignored - the police putting in a unit with camera and then catching the vocal resident breaking the limit! So definitely one rule for us, one for everyone else... There also does need to be more understanding of the fact that a limit allows variance of driving - there are roads around here where for stretches a 20 or 30 is sometimes not needed (open, no houses, no traffic), but at other times would make more sense - if we focused more on driving appropriately rather than blanket banning things it would be better (but I guess unlikely!)

Alasdair

'the police putting in a unit with camera and then catching the vocal resident breaking the limit!'
This is exactly what happened at Ditchling in Sussex; which is one of those pretend villages where you can buy expensive jam but precious little else :)

JohnP

Postby JohnP » Mon May 08, 2017 11:30 am

Birmingham has several 20 zones, and consulted about introducing many more.
There are some "A" roads I use locally that have recently introduced 20 sections.
I am not used to doing 20 on these roads so have difficulty keeping to it (my new car has cruise and speed control: which helps).
When I remember and keep to 20(ish) I am hassled from behind.

Return to “In The News”