Unpoliced 20 limits

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby jont- » Mon May 01, 2017 9:45 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:There should be a higher level power to the council that stops this patchwork of speed limit policies across the country.

Indeed. That's why the DfT have published national guidelines. Unfortunately they appear to have no legal standing :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:37 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Where's our Lieutenant Gary Megge? Does anyone on here know of a road where the limit has been raised or re-instated to it's previous level?

This used to be 30 - my satnav still says it is.....
https://goo.gl/maps/R85YgcDWwr92

Spin round 180° - the other side is 30 with a full length barrier on the near side and a huge grass verge on the offside. Doesn't half catch out learners who are concentrating on the roundabout and miss the signs......

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue May 02, 2017 8:06 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Where's our Lieutenant Gary Megge? Does anyone on here know of a road where the limit has been raised or re-instated to it's previous level?

Yes. The A354 40mph buffer zone each side of Winterborne Whitechurch between Blandforf Forum and Puddletown. Now returned to NSL. The 40 roundle that's been partly burnt out can be seen on the right.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.79462 ... 312!8i6656

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 am

A4 (Western Avenue/Bath Road) west of the 'Robin Hood' in Newbury, IIRC dropped from 40 to 30, then returned to 40.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 pm

I seem to be a bit out of step with everyone on this, but I have changed my views in recent years and now don't have a great problem with 20's and 30's. To me 30 makes sense for safety reasons on a 'main' road in a built up area, whereas 20 is giving a sign that the car is there on sufferance and needs to fit in with (and defer to if necessary) pedestrians, cyclists etc. Ignoring either limit is not only potentially dangerous but, often more to the point, is anti-social. People in a 20 zone should not have to worry too much about their children straying into the road etc.
However I get much more animated about 40's and 50's - I don't think they serve any useful purpose and should all be replaced with NSL (or 30's where appropriate). The Motorway/DC speed limit should also be raised to 80.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Matt1962 wrote:I seem to be a bit out of step with everyone on this, but I have changed my views in recent years and now don't have a great problem with 20's and 30's. To me 30 makes sense for safety reasons on a 'main' road in a built up area, whereas 20 is giving a sign that the car is there on sufferance and needs to fit in with (and defer to if necessary) pedestrians, cyclists etc. Ignoring either limit is not only potentially dangerous but, often more to the point, is anti-social. People in a 20 zone should not have to worry too much about their children straying into the road etc.
However I get much more animated about 40's and 50's - I don't think they serve any useful purpose and should all be replaced with NSL (or 30's where appropriate). The Motorway/DC speed limit should also be raised to 80.

I feel the same way and have little or no objection to these limits, the 20mph ones. I feel strongly, and always have, that in town we set our priorities wrong. The weakest link, the pedestrian, should have the priority and the system should be set up to achieve this. It certainly can be done as most of our neighbouring countries did so decades ago; which is where I drive for the greatest percentage of my time.
As to extended thirty limits then I tend to feel for the residents who want a more peaceful life (I do think though that is is very largely the residents who tend to ignore these limits).

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed May 03, 2017 3:19 pm

I am not bothered by those as limits - however, not so sure that I always like the reasoning and logic behind them - it is often not driven by safety which would be fine and make sense - but is very often (around here) nimby attitudes and a dislike of motorists... There have been several cases of locals being vocal about speed limits being ignored - the police putting in a unit with camera and then catching the vocal resident breaking the limit! So definitely one rule for us, one for everyone else... There also does need to be more understanding of the fact that a limit allows variance of driving - there are roads around here where for stretches a 20 or 30 is sometimes not needed (open, no houses, no traffic), but at other times would make more sense - if we focused more on driving appropriately rather than blanket banning things it would be better (but I guess unlikely!)

Alasdair

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Let's stop messing around - it's clear how pedestrian road safety will be improved:

(bazinga)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 03, 2017 6:25 pm

The problem is no-one can reasonably argue with appropriate 20 and 30 limits as discussed earlier. However when the campaign groups push for their implementation they use suitable roads for their argument/viewpoint, then along come the councils and throw them about like confettii at a wedding hitting roads that do not meet most reasonable people's criterea.

Here's a couple of 30 limits for you to enjoy/peruse. Have a 'drive' along them and see how far they extend.

https://goo.gl/maps/sVwmh8mY1o82

https://goo.gl/maps/rmhnVJ8pbLn
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:29 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:The problem is no-one can reasonably argue with appropriate 20 and 30 limits as discussed earlier. However when the campaign groups push for their implementation they use suitable roads for their argument/viewpoint, then along come the councils and throw them about like confettii at a wedding hitting roads that do not meet most reasonable people's criterea.

Here's a couple of 30 limits for you to enjoy/peruse. Have a 'drive' along them and see how far they extend.

https://goo.gl/maps/sVwmh8mY1o82

https://goo.gl/maps/rmhnVJ8pbLn

That's depressing. The second one I actually laughed out loud - who comes up with this? Barking - they got that right.
If they can't afford street lights, it's not a 30.

Return to “In The News”