Driving Test Changes

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
waremark

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby waremark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:48 am

Must have been a great drive to get no minors. Perhaps as expected but sons don't always live up to their father's hopes. Well done Martin.

fungus

Postby fungus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:53 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
martine wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... and, Mr ADI, what is a UK flash supposed to mean... ?

Legally or in common use?

What would be the expected interpretation on test?

Surely the same as the rest of us?

Still assess, proceed with caution if you believe it is safe. No point sitting there saying it's the other vehicle's "right of way' while annoying all around.

My IAM car examiner even mentioned it in his pre-drive briefing as he'd had people sticking to the letter of the law causing stalemate with poorly parked lorries or large vehicles trying to manoeuvre in small streets.

First of all well done to Martins son.

This is exactly how I approach these situations.

I had a learner pick up a driver error for not responding quickly enough to a van drivers inviting flash. The examiners words were "That van driver was waiting for you."

Nigel.

fungus

Postby fungus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote: In the old days you had to find a switch on the floor with your left foot (so grand dad told me). Everything's too easy these days.........

Is it in John Miles' 'Expert Driving the Police Way' where he recounts being on a night drive with a trainee who was doing perfect smooth double declutching, while dipping and raising the headlamps with each gear change . . . :? ;)

My A35 and Morris 1000 had dip switches on the floor to the left of the clutch pedal.

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 01, 2017 3:32 pm

waremark wrote:Must have been a great drive to get no minors. Perhaps as expected but sons don't always live up to their father's hopes. Well done Martin.

Foal picked up a couple of minors, one of which was on the 'show me' section when he couldn't operate the front fog lights. He told the examiner he'd have to start the engine, the examiner told him that he shouldn't have to.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Horse wrote:
waremark wrote:Must have been a great drive to get no minors. Perhaps as expected but sons don't always live up to their father's hopes. Well done Martin.

Foal picked up a couple of minors, one of which was on the 'show me' section when he couldn't operate the front fog lights. He told the examiner he'd have to start the engine, the examiner told him that he shouldn't have to.

Probably reported incorrectly, but officially there's no front fog question; it's rear fog.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -questions

This is where it's going to be fun when they have to do the "show me" on the move (yes it isn't rocket science, but it's an added level that some are not really prepared for yet as the result of not knowing on test is trivial (1 DF)).

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 01, 2017 4:17 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:

Probably reported incorrectly, but officially there's no front fog question; it's rear fog.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -questions

This is where it's going to be fun when they have to do the "show me" on the move (yes it isn't rocket science, but it's an added level that some are not really prepared for yet as the result of not knowing on test is trivial (1 DF)).

So conflating a couple of points . . .

"Show me how to operate the fog lights . . ."

*Flash*

. . . Another driver pulls out in front.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon May 01, 2017 6:16 pm

can the examiner ask a candidate to do something illegal (ie operate the fog lights when it's not foggy) while driving along?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon May 01, 2017 6:30 pm

jont- wrote:can the examiner ask a candidate to do something illegal

I think it would be reasonable to demonstrate how to check that the bulbs are working.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Gareth wrote:
jont- wrote:can the examiner ask a candidate to do something illegal

I think it would be reasonable to demonstrate how to check that the bulbs are working.

No they wouldn't - a nasty one might time the question inappropriately though!

To be fair, these are the new options:
DVSA wrote:‘Show me’ questions
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d switch on your dipped headlights?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d set the rear demister?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d operate the horn?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d demist the front windscreen?
When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d open and close the side window?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Wish someone could show me how to wet then wipe, not wipe and then wet the windscreen. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “In The News”