Unpoliced 20 limits

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby jont- » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:11 pm

AndyP wrote:However they are being enforced RIGIDLY as the safety camera partnership are always about parked up in them now.
Shades of 'Cash Cow' comes to mind.

Of course. It's now an industry in it's own right, so will have its own targets, including growth, that any other private industry now has. Much like the "get-out-of-jail for ££££" courses too. In fact for the scamera partnerships, there's more incentive to catch people at a threshold that gets people on to courses rather than fines as the gov't takes the fine money, but there's profit to be made on the courses. :soap:

Me, cynical? :hit:

crr003
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby crr003 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 pm

I seem to remember that the ubiquitous Speed Awareness Course was not available for 20 mph limit offenders initially.
ACPO offered this in 2013 which seemed to open up another educational opportunity:
http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3127.html

Some interesting comments from Rod King MBE and other concerned road users.

In other news, here's a photo of two 20 mph signs (and two 30 mph signs) erected on a short cul-de-sac. Pointless.
Image

martine
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby martine » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:59 pm

jont- wrote:...In fact for the scamera partnerships, there's more incentive to catch people at a threshold that gets people on to courses rather than fines as the gov't takes the fine money, but there's profit to be made on the courses. :soap:

Me, cynical? :hit:

May be but only where the camera partnership also run the Awareness courses...in Avon & Somerset and Wiltshire there are no 'partnerships' - the cameras are run by the local police. There are many police areas where the courses are subcontracted to an external provider like TTC and the provider has no say on who is sent on the course.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

crr003
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby crr003 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:52 pm

martine wrote:
jont- wrote:...In fact for the scamera partnerships, there's more incentive to catch people at a threshold that gets people on to courses rather than fines as the gov't takes the fine money, but there's profit to be made on the courses. :soap:

Me, cynical? :hit:

May be but only where the camera partnership also run the Awareness courses...in Avon & Somerset and Wiltshire there are no 'partnerships' - the cameras are run by the local police. There are many police areas where the courses are subcontracted to an external provider like TTC and the provider has no say on who is sent on the course.

Notwithstanding all that, it was a jolly good idea to relax the "entry criteria" from 10%+6 to 10%+9.
So many more transgressors obtaining education rather than punishment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13022347

fungus
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:26 pm
Location: Dorset

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby fungus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Just shows how much Joel Hickman knows. Speeding doesn't kill. Bad driving does. Exceeding the posted speed limit isn't necessarily dangerous, but driving at a speed inappropriate for the conditions usually is. The biggest problem is driver inatention. Add speed into the eqation and of course it becomes dangerous, but to say that "speeding" is dangerous is just plain ludicrous, especially as many speed limits are set inappropriately by local authorities for what seems nothing more than to pacify some pressure group.

Nigel.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby jont- » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:56 am

martine wrote:.in Avon & Somerset and Wiltshire there are no 'partnerships' - the cameras are run by the local police. There are many police areas where the courses are subcontracted to an external provider like TTC and the provider has no say on who is sent on the course.

So in Avon/Somerset are the operators actually police officers or civvy staff? And the operators of the scameras presumably have discretion about just where they press the button to capture the speed, particularly if people see the van and slow down? They'll know damn well what the thresholds are I'm sure.

crr003
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby crr003 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:43 pm

By chance (or the God of Internet Things' guidance), someone recently found this article on 85th percentile:
https://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

It's American, but it makes sense.

It also explains the fallacy that if we were to raise the motorway limit to 80, "everyone will just drive at 90"........

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Where's our Lieutenant Gary Megge? Does anyone on here know of a road where the limit has been raised or re-instated to it's previous level?
Mike Roberts

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby jont- » Mon May 01, 2017 6:21 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Where's our Lieutenant Gary Megge? Does anyone on here know of a road where the limit has been raised or re-instated to it's previous level?

It wouldn't matter, because the police don't set our speed limits, local councils do. In fact some of the DfT guidance even talks about unreasonably low limits having poor compliance and being difficult to enforce - but there's no requirement for councils to follow this or explain why they haven't.

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Unpoliced 20 limits

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 am

I meant as in speed limit reviewing role, not actual police officer.

There should be a higher level power to the council that stops this patchwork of speed limit policies across the country.

Every time I venture out of Suffolk and ride past a house at 40, 50 or even 60, an alarm goes of in my head thinking I've missed a 30 sign!
Mike Roberts


Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest