Driving Test Changes

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
martine

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby martine » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:29 am

My son passed his (conventional) driving test last week with no minors...go Jaryd! I was sitting in the back and he had some 'unusual' situations to cope with including an oncoming car approaching a narrow gap with parked cars on both sides. Jaryd slowed slightly to let him through, he then flashed his headlights but just as he started to edge forward, the other driver accelerated and came through the gap. Valuable lesson I guess.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:13 am

Well done Jared, no wonder he was confused, I can't work out who is who in that scenario. Who flashed their lights?
Nick

martine

Postby martine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:52 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Well done Jared, no wonder he was confused, I can't work out who is who in that scenario. Who flashed their lights?

The oncoming driver flashed their lights but then came through the gap without stopping - it's not as if Jaryd was hesitant - I think the driver confused himself as he waved an acknowledgment as he passed.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 pm

martine wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Well done Jared, no wonder he was confused, I can't work out who is who in that scenario. Who flashed their lights?

The oncoming driver flashed their lights but then came through the gap without stopping - it's not as if Jaryd was hesitant - I think the driver confused himself as he waved an acknowledgment as he passed.

There's a vague possibility to explain this. The other driver just might have been French or from any other country where the flash means, "I'm coming through".

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Or he went over a bump and the flash was the DRLs moving.

It's something we warn riders about. With most motorcycles having enforced daytime headlights when you go over road bumps or sleeping policemen an oncoming car may think you've flashed for them to proceed.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

martine

Postby martine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Yes I was aware the French flash lights meaning 'coming through' - couldn't tell - it was a UK registered car but that doesn't prove anything - there was an absence of onions and beret however.

No bumps I could see.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 am

... and, Mr ADI, what is a UK flash supposed to mean... ?
Nick

martine

Postby martine » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... and, Mr ADI, what is a UK flash supposed to mean... ?

Legally or in common use?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 am

martine wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... and, Mr ADI, what is a UK flash supposed to mean... ?

What would be the expected interpretation on test?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
martine wrote:

What would be the expected interpretation on test?

Highway Code #111
Pretty clear.

(Mod, feel free to move all this extraneous stuff to its own topic)

Return to “In The News”