Driving Test Changes

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
akirk

Driving Test Changes

Postby akirk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:24 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... ember-2017

The 4 driving test changes
1. Independent driving part of the test will increase to 20 minutes

The independent driving part of the test currently lasts around 10 minutes. During this part of the test, you have to drive without turn-by-turn directions from the driving examiner.

This part of the test will be made longer, so it’ll last around 20 minutes - roughly half of the test.
2. Following directions from a sat nav

During the independent driving part of the test, most candidates will be asked to follow directions from a sat nav.

The examiner will provide the sat nav and set it up. You won’t need to set the route - the examiner will do this for you. So, it doesn’t matter what make or model of sat nav you practise with.

You can’t follow directions from your own sat nav during the test - you have to use the one supplied by the examiner.

You’ll be able to ask the examiner for confirmation of where you’re going if you’re not sure. It won’t matter if you go the wrong way unless you make a fault while doing it.

One in 5 driving tests won’t use a sat nav. You’ll need to follow traffic signs instead.
3. Reversing manoeuvres will be changed

The ‘reverse around a corner’ and ‘turn-in-the-road’ manoeuvres will no longer be tested, but you should still be taught them by your instructor.

You’ll be asked to do one of 3 possible reversing manoeuvres:

parallel park at the side of the road
park in a bay - either driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do)
pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for 2 car lengths and rejoin the traffic

4. Answering a vehicle safety question while you’re driving

The examiner will ask you 2 vehicle safety questions during your driving test - these are known as the ‘show me, tell me’ questions.

You’ll be asked the:

‘tell me’ question (where you explain how you’d carry out a safety task) at the start of your test, before you start driving
‘show me’ question (where you show how you’d carry out a safety task) while you’re driving - for example, showing how to wash the windscreen using the car controls and wipers

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am

Following the SatNag ... so more inexperienced drivers watching a screen rather than what's going on around them.

Show me/tell me while driving ... a confident (mature/older) person would have the confidence to say "Wait until I'm stopped, I'm concentrating on my driving".

Manouvers - seems logical. Who does either of those manouvers, and if they do: In the way the test requires? I think not.

So overall less instilling concentrating on the task at hand. :(

Edit: Just re-read (properly! :oops: ) and noticed the question is asked before driving.
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:40 am

The driving in/reversing out of a parking bay is a personal bugbear of mine.
Having had my car scratched in a car park three years ago, and having to claim on my own insurance for the damage, I now avoid parking next to anyone who has driven into a bay.
Reversing in/driving out is always my preferred method for bay parking.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:49 am

So how do you put your shopping in the boot?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:08 am

Soon all you will have to do is to press the big PARK button and it will do it for you (it's next to the PACK SHOPPING button)

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:35 am

Anyone noticed the obvious issue / clash with the highway code...

New test...
pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for 2 car lengths and rejoin the traffic

Highway Code
do not park facing against the traffic flow

mmm - technically it might not be parking - but why pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse and rejoin traffic - what is the logic behind that move other than being one you wouldn't want to encourage from drivers...

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:48 am

That's so they can be taxi drivers and sit there with their ******* headlights on! :evil:

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Sat nav really needs to be expanded...
Can the candidate place it at a sensible location so that it's not blocking a significant fraction of the view?
Can the candidate ignore an erroneous instruction (eg turn at a level crossing, or wrong way down a 1-way street etc). Would need special software, but should really be done to make sure people don't just blindly do what it says :twisted:

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:01 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:So how do you put your shopping in the boot?

I don't! Hubby usually does the shopping, as I spend too much!
If I do manage to buy a few bits, it goes on the passenger seat!
I know, I'm spoilt!
However, today whilst he was shopping, I was weeding the patio, and cleaning out drains!
I don't get it that easy!

martine

Postby martine » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 pm

The new test has been trialled in several areas and thousands of tests over the last 12 months and has generally been well received by learners and instructors. It's an attempt to make the test more relevant to the match the driving real drivers do once independent.

The supermarket car park manoeuvre (drive in, reverse out) is what 90% of people do so as to gain access to the boot. Being able to do it relatively safely is an important skill and will generate the discussion of it's pros/cons when training - which can't be bad.

The pull-in on the right, again is something a driver might do to pickup/set-down a passenger or to get to the chippy when it's raining...again 'real world'.

Many new drivers purchase a satnav or use their phone once independent and it makes sense to test (and thereby encourage training) to be able to use one safely. Again it prompts the discussion during training.

There is more that could be done (of course) but I agree with the aims.

Learners are soon to be able to drive on motorways when accompanied by an ADI (date tba) - another change I thoroughly approve of.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “In The News”