Interesting AD decision to share

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
devonutopia

Interesting AD decision to share

Postby devonutopia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:34 pm

This little story to me was kind of instinctive but feel my training did help. Picture this

I pulled out of a crossroads into a 50mph limit. Road is winding, double lines down the middle. After only about 400 yards of pulling out on this road I became aware of blue lights in the mirror and realised an ambulance was bearing down on me. Lack of spots to pull over safely became apparent and the ambulance was still a relatively decent distance behind me. I elected instead to boot it. Probably up to 60mph, possibly a bit more, which maintained said gap with the ambulance bearing down on me until a petrol station (that I knew about) appeared in half a mile and I was able to pull in safely to a stop and wait for the ambulance to pass whilst I was completely off the carriageway. I got an appreciative double toot as think the ambulance knew what I was doing as well.

Seemed the right thing to do to me. Wondering what others thought. I did technically break a law but is it much different to going through a red light?

This is the garage I pulled in to. If you go "backwards" for half a mile or so you will follow the section of road I took the above choice to accelerate to the petrol station rather than immediately pull over.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.70731 ... 312!8i6656

martine

Re: Interesting AD decision to share

Postby martine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 pm

You didn't 'technically break the law', you did break the law. ;)

Blue light drivers are trained not to expect you to break the law to aid their passage and that includes going through a red light. In your situation they would normally turn the siren off but leave the light flashing, back off and expect you to drive at the speed limit (if safe) and pull off the road at the earliest opportunity - and that doesn't mean bumping up kerbs or driving onto soft verges etc.

I sympathise and it's kind of tempting to do what you did but it's not necessary, strictly speaking.
Last edited by martine on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Do any ambulances do much above 50mph? Could you have done what you did at a legal speed?

I've become trapped in lane 2 at a complex RAB/junction and had to drive through past all the vehicles that had pulled over. I could feel the glaring eyes as I passed them. (I stuck to the limit and as soon as a safe space appeared I pulled over. I'd have done nobody any favours by panicking and stopping inappropriately.)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Well, one thing is for sure, the ambulance was not doing 50 - but they have their exemptions and I do not. I felt it was safer to do what I did - I was just curious how others might have done it differently. I "might" have got away with sticking to 50, but by the time I reached the garage I suspect I would have been slightly hindering the E.V. :)

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

It's the human factor. If it were me in the ambulance then I'd rather you did what you did. If not then I might have a different perspective.
Yes, you broke the law but sometimes there are more pressing issues. Imagine the following: you stick to 50 mph, slightly hinder the ambulance, then learn later that one of your family member(wife/daughter...) was in it and that had the ambulances arrived 30s earlier, they could have survived, how would you feel?

Another key point might rather be whether the 50 mph limit is justified on that stretch of road or whether it's one of those unwarranted blanket 50mph limits. Judging from the link provided, it appears to be the latter. I personally have no issue with what you did.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:05 pm

The 50mph limit is along the whole stretch between Exeter and Sidmouth. Some of the road maybe warrants it. There are some junctions. :)

I think my issue was perhaps my desire to not hold up the ambulance was greater than my desire to not break the law (such as running red light) but it was definitely safe to be doing 60. I definitely would never jeopardise my own safety for anyone else. Human factor like said above. I think I have some humanity running through my veins.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:46 pm

devonutopia wrote:The 50mph limit is along the whole stretch between Exeter and Sidmouth. Some of the road maybe warrants it. There are some junctions. :)

I think my issue was perhaps my desire to not hold up the ambulance was greater than my desire to not break the law (such as running red light) but it was definitely safe to be doing 60. I definitely would never jeopardise my own safety for anyone else. Human factor like said above. I think I have some humanity running through my veins.

Would you have made the same choice if it was a Police car?

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:26 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Do any ambulances do much above 50mph?

I've seen the local paramedics out driver training under blues doing 80 along the M4 ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:30 pm

crr003 wrote:
devonutopia wrote:Would you have made the same choice if it was a Police car?

As an aside, I've been advised that, when being followed by the police they see it as a sign of weakness if you stop on command. Instead, give them a good run for their money - they much prefer that!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Do any ambulances do much above 50mph?

I've seen the local paramedics out driver training under blues doing 80 along the M4 ;)

I was referring to the types of road linked to. ;) Not motorways. And were those paramedics in a box van or a response vehicle?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”