Hi from North Yorkshire

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
KevT

Hi from North Yorkshire

Postby KevT » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:25 pm

I passed my driving test back in the early 70s. A few years later I started driving HGVs, and did that for 25 years. Now driving vans and mini buses on a seasonal contract and suddenly realised just how many bad habits I have picked up over the years.
That said, it was time to do something about it so I signed up to the IAM program and passed the test on the 18th September. Now wanting to up my game, I am thinking of training as observer. Any tips would be more than welcome.

akirk

Re: Hi from North Yorkshire

Postby akirk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:04 am

Welcome to the forum - it is late, so just signing off, but wanted to say hello :)
lots of options, and lots of knowledgeable people on here, so hopefully someone will be along to give you the route ahead!

Alasdair

gannet

Postby gannet » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:13 am

hello there :)

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:52 am

Hello KevT!

Did you take the test in a minibus, or in a car? Why not do it again in the other vehicle? And have you considered signing up for Masters? Becoming an Observer may well help you to keep on top of your skills, and it's a valuable contribution to the group, but it doesn't demand any higher standard of driving, so Masters might be the way to go to "up your game". There may well be people on the forum who live near you and would enjoy going for a drive, too.

David

martine

Postby martine » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Welcome! Yes training to become an Observer is a great thing to do for all sorts of reasons: personal development, putting something back into the group and helping road safety and, it's fun!

To become a National Observer DOES mean your driving has to be above the minimum standard to pass the advanced test. On the old scoring method 'Skill for Life' the minimum would be 3's in all 27 categories. To be a National Observer you need to be able to drive with and score only 1s and 2s - with a total score of less than 40.

I also find Observing sharpens your observation and anticipation skills as you need to be one step ahead of the associate. You also get asked some great probing questions - which will make you think!

Have you seen the upcoming ADHub driving days...highly recommended as a way of developing your own driving skills...and it's free.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

KevT

Postby KevT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not getting back sooner but I've been quite busy with other things just lately.

I passed my test in the car David, and as for doing it again in the minibus, the vehicles are on the go all the time from April to October with different drivers going out in them so they are on the go 7 days a week. At the end of the season that are then taken off the road and SORNd so no chance of doing the test in one.

As far as the observing side of things go, I am still waiting to get started as there are certain issues with the training officer but I will be going to my first branch meeting next week so will ask what is happening.

I have also been thinking lately about doing Masters and after reading easyshifter's report I am even more determined to go for it. Again, I will be asking about going down that route next week.

Just had a look for driving days in my area Martin but there doesn't seem to be any around the North Yorkshire/Durham/Teeside areas.

martine

Postby martine » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:43 am

KevT wrote:...Just had a look for driving days in my area Martin but there doesn't seem to be any around the North Yorkshire/Durham/Teeside areas.

No - for some random reason nearly all ADHub days are South or Midlands...perhaps if you can make one (Shrewsbury?) to see how they work, you could then consider organising one 'up North'...it's not onerous and you'd get plenty of help on the forum I'm sure.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:43 pm

KevT wrote:Just had a look for driving days in my area Martin but there doesn't seem to be any around the North Yorkshire/Durham/Teeside areas.

I have said on a few occasions that I was going to organize something, probably in the Forest of Bowland. I haven't got round to it yet, but if I keep saying it it may happen!

David

martine

Postby martine » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:22 pm

kfae8959 wrote:I have said on a few occasions that I was going to organize something, probably in the Forest of Bowland. I haven't got round to it yet, but if I keep saying it it may happen!

In the words of the great god: Nike, "Just Do It!"

Return to “Introductions”