Routes into Advanced Driving?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Matt1962

Routes into Advanced Driving?

Postby Matt1962 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Having recently taken my ROSPA three year refresher, I had a few expressions of interest from friends and work colleagues and realised that I don't really have any idea as to how someone would now go about becoming an accredited 'Advanced Driver' either through ROSPA or IAM.

I originally became involved due to a very transient company requirement that everyone with a company car should undertake a days training and then take and pass the ROSPA test. The examiner apparently referred to us as xxxx's 'One Day Wonders' but xxxx must have been a good trainer because all but one passed first time and there were a fair few silvers and one or two golds. I took my silver and the (very useful and constructive) examiners comments, got a gold three years later and have undergone (voluntarily as the company requirement has long gone) numerous refresher tests since then.

However, reading other threads on this site, it seems a more normal way in is to join a group and commit a lot of time - something I would find hard to sell to most of my acquaintances (or current company structure). So, do the likes of 'xxxx' still exist? Is it still possible to get quickly up to test standard?

jont-

Re: Routes into Advanced Driving?

Postby jont- » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Given that much of what you learn really requires practice, I'm not sure how much long term value a crash course would really provide. And then there's the question about whether you want to pass a test, or whether you want to get /better/.

There are plenty of commercial providers - I think IAM even have their own fast track at commercial rates. Then there are companies like Ride Drive etc, all of whom are likely to be using Roadcraft as a foundation.

I think a few people have got interested after finding a site such as this and coming along to a driving day too :car: :gear:

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 pm

There are plenty of companies who offer 'advanced driving training' for half a day / day - which works well in a commercial environment.
The courses act well as a refresher (many drivers have never thought about their driving since passing) - and tackles / trains in a number of quick win areas...
However those courses don't develop a driver in the mindset needed for Advanced Driving - that takes time and there is no real substitute for that...

If those acquaintances have no real interest in being better then an IAM / RoSPA course is not really the correct option

Alasdair

martine

Postby martine » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Quite agree about the effectiveness of 'crash courses'.

The IAM's is:
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses/fast-track-advanced-driver-voucher

The more usual and I believe better route is to sign up here:
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses/advanced-driver-course

Then join a local group and commence training. We find most associates take between 6 - 12 drives before they are ready for the test. Most people go out every 1-2 weeks - so you're looking at 3 - 6 months. We always say it's not a quick fix but it's enjoyable, interesting and may let you appreciate and enjoy driving like never before.

ROSPA is cheaper but not hugely so bearing in mind the IAM's £149 covers:
  • membership to both the national organisation and a local group
  • the course manual
  • and the test itself
There are many more IAM groups than ROSPA across the UK but when it comes down to it, pick whichever is closest to make initial enquiries, perhaps attend a local meeting and then decide if you're happy with the vibe.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 pm

The replies are valid ones, and I take the point about just passing a test. However, even passing the test requires a certain level of understanding and mindset and can open people's eyes to new ways of thinking about their driving. For that reason alone, I wouldn't write off the fast-track approach.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:34 pm

Intense courses are one of my pet hates. Whether for IAM/ROSPA or Direct Access (Motorcycles).

I think that people need the practise between sessions to consolidate and make that mind set change. For me getting people to adopt the 'advanced' concepts as part of their everyday driving/riding is the key element. Intense courses tend to (from my experience) produce parrot fashion riding. Enough to pass the test on the day but sadly they soon revert to form.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:28 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: Intense courses tend to (from my experience) produce parrot fashion riding. Enough to pass the test on the day but sadly they soon revert to form.

Isn't that equally likely if there's 'training to test' of any sort? Unless the trainee believes there is a benefit personally to them, why are they likely to think that they should change permanently?

As an aside: I was running a weekend away advanced course, starting in a hotel on the Friday evening. Walking down to dinner, I happened to be following two trainees and heard one say "I'm only here to get the badge, I'll do what I'm told to pass".

To be fair, he was very good, already at a high standard (IIRC had a 'Gold' pass), but it ended that he said he'd really enjoyed the course (and he did pass). He was with me on Saturday afternoon, and accepted any suggestions I made.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:40 pm

My experience is that anyone taking training for any reason other than "because they really want the benefit" will always revert to type afterwards. I am sure that there are exceptions, but I hold that they are few and, for some, there may be some small thing that sticks, but most of the learning will be forgotten.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:47 pm

Horse wrote:Walking down to dinner, I happened to be following two trainees and heard one say "I'm only here to get the badge, I'll do what I'm told to pass".

You write that like it's a bad thing?
That's how I got my ADI badge.

How often do people write about advanced driving courses, "do the course, listen to what they tell you, pick the bits out of it that make sense/fit your belief system"?

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:40 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:Walking down to dinner, I happened to be following two trainees and heard one say "I'm only here to get the badge, I'll do what I'm told to pass".

You write that like it's a bad thing?

How often do people write about advanced driving courses, "do the course, listen to what they tell you, pick the bits out of it that make sense/fit your belief system"?

I'd rather only teach useful, justifiable, content. I can't see any point in teaching (or learning, for that matter) content simply to pass a test.

crr003 wrote: That's how I got my ADI badge

That's hardly a good example :lol: :hit: :drool:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”