Double White Line Meaning?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.

What does a solid double white line along the centre of the road mean?

No Overtaking
37%
No Reversing
9%
No Parking
54%

Total votes: 35

jont-

Re: Double White Line Meaning?

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:22 pm

sussex2 wrote:All our planning for road users has the principle ingredient as the car; other lesser beings are subsidiary.
It's a legacy of government planning in the 1970s and I'd swear a lot of the planners have flared hipster trousers. It takes 50 years to change attitudes and boy oh boy do this lot show it :)
I've just had a vision of a portly middle aged man in flared hipsters - time for the pub!

Sorry, but that's simply bollocks. Look at the planning for the last 20 or so years that means huge housing developments are designed with completely inadequate parking (as if somehow not having a parking space will stop people owning a car :roll: ). So instead all the access roads end up lined with vehicles that should be off the road.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:48 pm

The reason for using double whites is to prevent people from offsiding due to lack of view or other hazards on that side of the road. It is not to prevent overtaking. I do not believe that motorcycles are "forgotten" in the thought process. It is only that they want people to remain on their own side for the duration of the markings. If they wanted to stop overtaking then they could just use a "No Overtaking" sign.

Thought: Are you allowed to overtake a cyclist between having passed a "No Overtaking" sign and before a "No Overtaking - End" sign?

Oh how quickly it all gets silly. :)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Ah! I think I see what you mean on second reading.
The short sighted planning you describe will certainly not be doing any road user a favour. I believe that at very least all new properties should be offered with at least one parking space; to purchase if needs be. It's what happens in some other EU countries.
Living, a lot of the time, close to that appalling road the A27 gives me no confidence in any kind of planning; though I strongly believe powerful vested interests have a lot to do with the inadequate state of the thing.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:54 pm

sussex2 wrote:Ah! I think I see what you mean on second reading.
The short sighted planning you describe will certainly not be doing any road user a favour. I believe that at very least all new properties should be offered with at least one parking space; to purchase if needs be. It's what happens in some other EU countries.
Living, a lot of the time, close to that appalling road the A27 gives me no confidence in any kind of planning; though I strongly believe powerful vested interests have a lot to do with the inadequate state of the thing.

Planning seems to be "what's the minimum we can get away with spending, commensurate with also getting re-elected". The idea of any sort of vision beyond the next election (or annual budget) seems to be a foreign concept to all LAs.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:01 pm

jont- wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Ah! I think I see what you mean on second reading.

Planning seems to be "what's the minimum we can get away with spending, commensurate with also getting re-elected". The idea of any sort of vision beyond the next election (or annual budget) seems to be a foreign concept to all LAs.

Indeed!

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:44 pm

I don't know what it means in total, except it certainly does not mean no overtaking.

Anyhow it's a bum system that should never have been introduced. :evil:

Revian

Postby Revian » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Surely it does not mean 'no overtaking' nor 'no reversing'. It implies 'no parking' in certain circumstances...

The question confuses by using 'what does it mean' instead of the clearer 'what does this imply'. After all 'no parking' (when that's all that is meant) doesn't use a double white line to say so.... There's that canary coloured thing near the kerb. 8-)

Is a bit like the 'have you stopped beating your wife?' question.....

Ian
Ian

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm surprised so many people on an AD forum went for no overtaking.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 pm

In my defence, I never once read the highway code...

And I never got questioned on the theory test on the meaning of double white lines...

Revian

Postby Revian » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:06 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:In my defence, I never once read the Highway Code...

I wouldn't advise the use of that as a defence... :D

Ian
Ian

Return to “General Chat”