Driving with DSG

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
jont-

Re: Driving with DSG

Postby jont- » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:09 pm

waremark wrote:This idea of matching a driver's style is stupid IMO (and why on earth it could be expected to lead to a smoother drive ...) I want my gearbox to behave in a predictable way so I know what to do with the throttle to get the gearbox to do what I want.

My 'style' changes in a moment when I get out of suburban traffic. The last thing I want is for my gearbox to behave in a different way from the way it behaved last time.

Oh, absolutely. And it was last time I drove a VAG DSG box it drove me nuts (eg want some firm in-gear acceleration - "oh, you must want kick down" :bash: ). Just like over-servoed brakes and horrible non-linear throttle response, VAG seem to be all about thinking they know what the customer wants rather than allowing the customer to decide for themselves.

/luddite.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm

jont- wrote:Or maybe they do learn....
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/vw-a ... -behavior/
Apart from the cheating aspect "The automaker also told Reuters that its adaptive transmission software is meant to change shift points in order to improve on-road performance. Many automatic transmissions these days learn from driver input and tailor shifting to match a driver's style, which leads to a smoother drive"

Yes, that's the sort of article I've seen dotted about the place along with loads of marketing speak. Yet when you dig down into a lot of these systems the marketing guy's understanding of the verb 'learn' is seriously suspect. Most of these systems do 'point in time' decisions which are affected by your driving style. So if ripping it up on twisty B road with lots of on/off throttle/brakes it will keep the revs up and hold onto a gear longer. As soon as you start having inputs that are less on/off (acceleration sense?) it reverts to rushing up the box. YOU learning what the box does in certain situations and in what mode YOU have selected is much more influential. Learn what the box does and you truly can drive the thing with your right foot ... but it takes practise and many of the reviewers never do.
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Contrary to my comments above I recently quite enjoyed this sort of thing in a Ferrari FF. Fabulous car. And an excellent dual clutch gearbox. I left it in Comfort mode all the time. For country road driving I used manual. In auto mode if you didn't press too hard on the accelerator it changed up quite early, making pleasant use of the plentiful torque. But if you squeezed harder it would decide you wanted revs and give you them for a little while even after lifting off. At least it was repeatable and consistent and I enjoyed using it sometimes in the traffic lights grand prix.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:03 pm

There you go Mike, you've bought the wrong car!
Just swap yours out for a Ferrari.
Although the Yaris CVT with "7" speed flappy paddle is quite easy to drive if you want to go that way!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:56 pm

crr003 wrote:There you go Mike, you've bought the wrong car!
Just swap yours out for a Ferrari.
Although the Yaris CVT with "7" speed flappy paddle is quite easy to drive if you want to go that way!

Mine's almost the right colour! :)

Traffic light Grand Prix? Mine has Launch Control though I've never used it!

Goto 2:00 onwards.

Very happy with mine (though I'd swap mine if no money involved :) ). I test rode a modern DCT motorbike the other day and that was very good too. Here's my review (on page 20 onwards).

NB. The reference to trying the VFR1200 again is because one tried to kill me in the wet several years ago when it was first launched. It changed down two gears and lit up the back wheel while leant over as I exited a roundabout in the wet! :o
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:11 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Traffic light Grand Prix? Mine has Launch Control though I've never used it!

What's that rattling noise at 2:25?

My research has unearthed some educational videos on YouTube searching for "launch control Nissan GTR" though.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:25 pm

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Traffic light Grand Prix? Mine has Launch Control though I've never used it!

What's that rattling noise at 2:25?

Probably some sort of [faked up?] turbo anti-lag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKAX1jx--IQ

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:35 pm

crr003 wrote:My research has unearthed some educational videos on YouTube searching for "launch control Nissan GTR" though.

You'll go blind! :roll: :lol:

jont- wrote:Probably some sort of [faked up?] turbo anti-lag.

I haven't been able to find out if it does any real function or is cosmetic sound. It will also pop and bang like a rally car on the over-run or when doing rev-matched down shifts (both when set to Sport or Race mode).

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Is that real sound or synthesised through the ICE?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Is that real sound or synthesised through the ICE?

Not synthed, it is real sound coming out of the exhaust.

The Android App that plays sampled sounds through the car's audio system does work quite well. I tried it for a few days and it matches what the engine is doing. The selection of 'engines' is quite limited and the Clio V6 made the best sound (for me). I soon got bored of it and it is turned off. I've been having a bit of a 'debate' over on the Renaultsport forum trying to understand why some of them feel the need to remove one of the boxes in the exhaust, or even spend a fortune on an Akropovic system, to make it louder (with no performance gains). I think it sounds sporty enough already without attracting attention. I've still got a standard pipe on my motorcycle, while it is almost 'standard' to put some ear bleeder on them. I don't get it.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”