Gov.uk Consultation on driverless cars

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
GTR1400MAN

Re: Gov.uk Consultation on driverless cars

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:11 pm

http://www.itsinternational.com/categories/utc/news/fema-and-dutch-motorcyclists-question-teslas-type-approval/

Serious concerns from the motorcycle world whether this tech can 'see' motorbikes or is programmed to deal with them!
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:24 am

Interesting update/development regarding Tesla.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/20 ... autopilot/
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:33 am

While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control.

so it is retreating back to less than many mainstream cars -some of those are pretty sorted mainstream options now - suggests some fundamental underlying issues with their tech.

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:00 pm

I heard the other day that Mobileye have withdrawn from working with Tesla. If Tesla don't have a replacement in plce it may very simply be that they don't have any camera systems to support most of those functions.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:24 pm

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:11 pm

My interpretation - Tesla are now rolling their own algorithms. They [yet] don't have the knowhow mobileye have, so until they have enough data, they can't roll things out. In the meantime older cars with mobileye cameras can carry on. The newer cars will have the hardware (cameras) built in, but the software probably isn't there yet.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Here's how good it is. Imagine I was siting in a queue on my motorcycle behind this van. :o :(

Maybe the bridge confused its sight/radar?

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:59 pm

I think it just confirms my belief that we are on a scary runway to a future we don't understand - pushed along by corporates who stand to make lots of money and governments who are scared of missing out...

when humans so often mess up on the road, how does anyone currently think that they can match the human brain and better it?!

an interesting time ahead

Alasdair

fungus

Postby fungus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:12 pm

akirk wrote:I think it just confirms my belief that we are on a scary runway to a future we don't understand - pushed along by corporates who stand to make lots of money and governments who are scared of missing out...

when humans so often mess up on the road, how does anyone currently think that they can match the human brain and better it?!

an interesting time ahead

Alasdair

I couldn't agree more Alasdair. May be the word interesting should be changed to frightening.

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 pm

akirk wrote:when humans so often mess up on the road, how does anyone currently think that they can match the human brain and better it?!

Hmmm . . . How much safer would the roads be if dem umans kept to the rules? Of course, the associated 'problrm' is 'what rules?' . . .

The machine [give or take a software glitch ;) ] won't have a choice.about keeping to the rules but they have to be the 'right' rules. Perhaps the key is how long it takes for the software designers to get the search / evaluate / execute elements balanced?

I understand that some of the new autonomous vehicles rely on a pre-determined lidar 'map of the environment they will be operating within, so they're not likely to be going off-piste any time soon.

Return to “In The News”