So do you know the Highway Code?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
akirk

So do you know the Highway Code?

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Following on from the pedestrian thread, and picking up on a new survey which shows that less than 1/4 of motorists look at the highway code after passing their test:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/119 ... -Code.html

little check with 10 questions - how well do you do...?

Alasdair

Adamxck

Re: So do you know the Highway Code?

Postby Adamxck » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:30 pm

9, but I failed to read the answers properly.

There is treasure here :lol:
Adam.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:30 pm

9/10 - I was thrown by the seatbelt question :D

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:33 pm

10/10 - Looks like you've cracked the code.

Only one question that I had to stop and think about for a minute - No 4, the seatbelt - then I realised it was actually quite obvious.

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:59 pm

9 - again, the seatbelts. I will further confess to not knowing the tram one or the cat's eye colour (but elimination did the job).

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 pm

10/10

I was thrown for a moment by the seatbelt question, then remembered that bikes don't have them, so it could only be one answer :lol:

I'm a little bit concerned by the 1% who selected the answer "Has little or no effect, and can even reduce them slightly" in response to the question: "How does wet weather affect braking distances"... :shock:

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:27 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:10/10

I was thrown for a moment by the seatbelt question, then remembered that bikes don't have them, so it could only be one answer :lol:

not sure that is the reason - there are cars out there where you don't have to wear a seatbelt - if not fitted as it is not compulsory to have them fitted... my landrover is of an age where it doesn't need to have seatbelts fitted (1971), however as I had them added, you do now have to wear them - hence wear if fitted...

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:01 pm

akirk wrote:

not sure that is the reason - there are cars out there where you don't have to wear a seatbelt - if not fitted as it is not compulsory to have them fitted... my landrover is of an age where it doesn't need to have seatbelts fitted (1971), however as I had them added, you do now have to wear them - hence wear if fitted...

Alasdair

Well no, my reason for picking it was simply the fact not all vehicles have them fitted, so you can't wear a seatbelt all the time.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:40 am

Despite all the discussion on here (which I deliberately didn't read, although I should have been more cautious) I managed to get the seatbelt one wrong by reading the answers too fast. Ho hum. Got 9/10. Must try harder :(
Nick

hir

Postby hir » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:12 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
akirk wrote:

Alasdair

Well no, my reason for picking it was simply the fact not all vehicles have them fitted, so you can't wear a seatbelt all the time.

Well, the driver doesn't have to wear a seat belt when reversing. So, no, you don't have to wear one all the time even if fitted. So whether one answers the question with "all the time" or, "whenever they are fitted", both answers are incorrect. Most of these types of quizzes are pretty silly and pointless. And I don't say that because of sour grapes in not getting all the right answers. I did. Apparently I've "cracked the Code" with 10/10. Well, yes, sort of. I only got 10 out of 10 because, against my better judgement, I was able to answer correctly the bonkers suggestion in the Highway Code that one should use the left-hand lane on a motorway or dual-carriageway "at all times except when overtaking"!

Return to “In The News”