Double White Line Meaning?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.

What does a solid double white line along the centre of the road mean?

No Overtaking
37%
No Reversing
9%
No Parking
54%

Total votes: 35

Strangely Brown

Double White Line Meaning?

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Sounds simple enough...

Of the three answers, only one is correct. Since this question has appeared before on other forums, I am expecting more correct answers than the last time I posted it. :|

Mods: Posted in this forum because it covers all of Learner, AD, Cars and Bikes etc. Feel free to move it if appropriate.

Strangely Brown

Re: Double White Line Meaning?

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Hmmm... only 1 answer so far. Is the question too hard?

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I do hope I voted correctly... It ain't been that long since I did my theory test :mrgreen:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:22 pm

I would hope you voted correctly too. Answer will be revealed when more people have chosen.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:24 pm

I think that it is badly phrased :) the only one which is fully prohibited is not actually the meaning of the white lines, but a consequence - the one closest to the meaning is not actually fully prohibited :D which maybe is why it is a good question! So perhaps it shouldn't ask about meaning and then use 'No' when its direct meaning is something else...

I know the answer you want, but have been contrary and voted for the one closest to the actual meaning :D

Alasdair

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:33 pm

The question is phrased (IIRC) exactly as it was in a competition. Of the three options given, only one is correct.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:The question is phrased (IIRC) exactly as it was in a competition. Of the three options given, only one is correct.

:) understand, and can see why technically it might be correct, but am in a flippant mood tonight and disagree with the intent! :D

Alasdair

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh, there's no "technically" about it. The correct answer is stated quite clearly, and the incorrect answer is specifically contradicted. If that makes sense... without openly giving the answer away.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:08 pm

mmm, without giving it away, the correct reason comes as a result of putting in double white lines, however I would argue that highways / councils don't put them in for that reason - they put them in for one of the other reasons (which is technically incorrect), but is what they mean when they put them in... if the council / highways wanted the 'correct answer' their painting would be different! Therefore I am going for what they mean - not what is correct :D - too much coke (of the liquid caffine type!) :D

Still - a good / clever question

Alasdair

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:31 pm

OK, I'll grant that if the correct answer was what they intended then they would have used different paint. The incorrect answer is incorrect regardless of what they intended - there are more than just cars on the road. If they intended for the incorrect answer to be the effect then there is a sign that does the job without ambiguity.

I think that makes sense. :)

Return to “General Chat”