Black Boxes

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
Horse

Re: Black Boxes

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:56 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:If so, a high figure would show the insurance companieswho is driving faster through corners. Surely that's all they need to know to decide 'safe'? ;)

Nah, a high figure shows who is getting around the corner. You get a low 'g' when you plough straight on into the scenery :lol:

Just as well that these systems weren't commonplace when Suzuki 'Jimmy's regularly got bowled into the undergrowth :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Yes and at least one black box company aimed at younger drivers, give bonus points for motorway driving and negative points for rural B roads...independently of how they are driven. their excuse is: motorways are safer per mile so they want to encourage their use. I can't believe this is sensible use of data.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:41 pm

martine wrote:Yes and at least one black box company aimed at younger drivers, give bonus points for motorway driving and negative points for rural B roads...

It may make sense from a risk point of view. Do they pretend that they are assessing good driving, or do they explain how they are assessing the driving?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Just say no (as a song in the 80s said) and find an insurance company who'll cover you without one. The more who give in, the sooner it will be standard to have one. :( A good analogy is satellite TV. If everyone had stood firm and not bought pay per view events we would still have free to air television/sport.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:50 am

Discov8 wrote:Does anyone know what the insurance black boxes monitor, record and to what accuracy?

Badly it would seem:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37910773

Hopefully this will lead to their demise. Hateful things.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:37 pm

jont- wrote:
Discov8 wrote:Does anyone know what the insurance black boxes monitor, record and to what accuracy?

Badly it would seem:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37910773

Hopefully this will lead to their demise. Hateful things.

Unfortunately, I fear not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/insurance/car/insurers-to-bid-for-the-best-drivers-based-on-telematics-scores/

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Telegraph Article wrote:He also raised concerns that as systems like this become more popular, insurance could become prohibitively expensive for drivers who did not want to opt in.

"Your ability to say no is going to be significantly limited because of the economic consequences of saying no.

And this is why I've been banging on that people must resist the "sweetie" of 'cheaper premiums' that the marketing machine pushes.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:26 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Telegraph Article wrote:He also raised concerns that as systems like this become more popular, insurance could become prohibitively expensive for drivers who did not want to opt in.

"Your ability to say no is going to be significantly limited because of the economic consequences of saying no.

And this is why I've been banging on that people must resist the "sweetie" of 'cheaper premiums' that the marketing machine pushes.

I dunno, I suspect there's a fairly large performance car and fast saloon market whose owners will resist.

As for Strangely Browns post - ah, it's app based. That sounds like a project to "create" some data for :twisted:

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Return to “Technology”