EU countries.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
WhoseGeneration

EU countries.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:16 pm

That Italy and Germany are together in the EU does not compute for me, from my recent holidays in both countries.

angus

Re: EU countries.

Postby angus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:29 pm

I'll bite

Why?

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:47 pm

angus wrote:I'll bite

Why?

Because Switzerland and Austria are in the way.

angus

Postby angus » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Oh, I thought it would be something cultural, or their driving discipline rather than plain geography

Austria is in the EU anyway, and if you believe some people, Switzerland signs up to all EU directives

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Yes, driving and riding standards were one comparator, another was infrastructure condition. I wasn't driving on either holiday.

A week in Sorrento followed 2 days later by a week in the Black Forest, walking. Except an injured foot meant I couldn't walk for long. So others walked and, by chance, I was able to see some of this http://www.baiersbronn-classic.de/text_ ... -2016.html, millions of Euros or £ of immaculate cars. Edited to add and motorcycles.

Particular fun was the lack of traffic lights in Sorrento, major junctions just a riot of horns and chaos. The many scooterists appearing to have no need to obey any form of regulation. Pedestrian, pah, take your chance. The absolutely diabolical state of the pavements and many buildings.

Then, of course, in contrast, the state of such things in Germany.

In terms of prices, for most tourist stuff there appeared to be little difference, with both being slightly cheaper than the UK, even at current exchange rate.

I know we're leaving but I just don't see how the "Ever closer union" can happen. It's as if those who write this stuff and decide don't ever look about them or travel within and all over the EU countries.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:14 am

Surely the difference is part of the attraction.
I've certainly always enjoyed crossing the non existent borders and having to adjust to local procedures.

Return to “General Chat”