Smart Meters - your advice please!

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
superplum

Re: Smart Meters - your advice please!

Postby superplum » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:11 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: Estimated on your behalf at 50% of your energy consumption. Not measured.

It's actually 50% of the energy generated, not consumed. My "non-smart" digital meter shows "rEd (reverse energy detected)" when solar power is being generated regardless of whether it is being used or not. I believe that the smart meters are not smart enough to cover that. Also, I seem to recall that smart meters need an internet connection which then begs another question - who pays for it? Whilst the meter readings should always be accurate, they can't replace the numpties who c*ck up the billing.
:lol:

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:What's to be afraid of, really? It's a meter. You pay for what you use, same old same old. On top of that you may benefit from a clearer understanding of your own consumption (throw that old freezer away ...).

It's not the meter that's the problem. It's the fact that we live in an old cottage, c1850, with old plumbing, slightly strange wiring, etc etc etc. I've learned in the past that sometimes it's best to leave well alone, as a small simple job just gets bigger and bigger.

It probably won't be a problem, but there again!

P.S. That's no freezer, that's my .......

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:22 pm

superplum wrote:It's actually 50% of the energy generated, not consumed.

Apologies - typing in haste. You are, of course, correct.
Nick

angus

Postby angus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:53 pm

superplum wrote: Also, I seem to recall that smart meters need an internet connection which then begs another question - who pays for it? :lol:

Don't know if they all do, but my meter has a sim card for data transfer

Return to “General Chat”