Smart Meters - your advice please!

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Rolyan

Smart Meters - your advice please!

Postby Rolyan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:49 am

Nothing whatsoever to do with driving, just after the collected wisdom.....

We've been contacted by our energy company to say that we are to have smart meters fitted to our gas and electric. I've checked online and there is no legal requirement to have them fitted, you can say no. Half of me welcomes the new technology, half of me thinks leave it well alone, everything works just fine and I cant see a genuine impact or benefit to us.

What are most doing on here? Accepting or rejecting, and why.

P.S. I haven't told them, but they wont be able to do the gas due to its location under the cupboards. So its electric only.

akirk

Re: Smart Meters - your advice please!

Postby akirk » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:58 am

whatever they claim as an advantage for you, it is important to remember that they are only bearing the cost of this because they see it as a commercial advantage for them...

a big part of the future for companies is ownership and use of data - that is a key focus for them in the roll out of smart meters.

if you look online at their stated advantages it boils down to:
- less hassle on readings (not something I find a hassle)
- more understanding of your consumption - I do this already with a device attached to my electricity - not sure I want to know how much gas the rayburn uses!

so it is all about data - but whose data is that - yours / mine, not theirs, if they want to make money out of it / make savings, are they going to offer me a share in that financial benefit? if they did, then maybe - otherwise, no interest

Alasdair

angus

Postby angus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:40 pm

akirk wrote:whatever they claim as an advantage for you, it is important to remember that they are only bearing the cost of this because they see it as a commercial advantage for them...

I thought the government was subsidising this?

Personally, I've lost out with a smart meter. With solar panels, my old meter went backwards on sunny days

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Have you seen any benefits to your Smart meter. The more I think about it, the more I want to cancel the appointment and stick with what I've got.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:13 pm

We've got them, doesn't seem to make any difference.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Rolyan wrote:The more I think about it, the more I want to cancel the appointment and stick with what I've got.

Wait until the Tin Foil Hat comments start :D
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:52 pm

What's to be afraid of, really? It's a meter. You pay for what you use, same old same old. On top of that you may benefit from a clearer understanding of your own consumption (throw that old freezer away ...)

Angus, my meter still goes backwards, but I doubt if that makes much difference other than a placebo effect. The FIT payment, as you know, is based on your FIT meter readings, not on some magical interpretation of what current is flowing in or out of your main meter.
Nick

angus

Postby angus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:32 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: Angus, my meter still goes backwards, but I doubt if that makes much difference other than a placebo effect. The FIT payment, as you know, is based on your FIT meter readings, not on some magical interpretation of what current is flowing in or out of your main meter.

Ah, but in addition to your FIT payment, you're getting a "refund" for every unit that goes back to the grid (or more accurately the grid is storing/borrowing that unit for you to use later)

angus

Postby angus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Rolyan wrote:Have you seen any benefits to your Smart meter. The more I think about it, the more I want to cancel the appointment and stick with what I've got.

Not really. It came with a remote display, which I used to look at when I went past it, but it hasn't been plugged in for months

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:13 pm

angus wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: Angus, my meter still goes backwards, but I doubt if that makes much difference other than a placebo effect. The FIT payment, as you know, is based on your FIT meter readings, not on some magical interpretation of what current is flowing in or out of your main meter.

Ah, but in addition to your FIT payment, you're getting a "refund" for every unit that goes back to the grid (or more accurately the grid is storing/borrowing that unit for you to use later)

Estimated on your behalf at 50% of your energy generation*. Not measured.

*EFA
Nick

Return to “General Chat”