Two Chevron rule

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Silk

Re: Two Chevron rule

Postby Silk » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:03 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Here's a link to a basic mathematics number line taught in most schools. If you replace the numbers with chevrons, you can see that your point in time scenario is only ONE chevron apart.

The fact that you have to pull over to the hard shoulder, get your calculator out and remember something you were taught in school (assuming you were in attendance that day) before you can work out what the damn things mean only goes to prove my point that they are a complete waste of paint.

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote::lol: Personally I wasn't against you saying: "they're confusing". That would have been enough. But what you actually did was say "what do you think they mean?", and then proceed to show how everyone else's interpretation was wrong, in your opinion.

It should be bloody obvious what they mean. For a sign or road marking to be useful, it needs to be either so obvious it's not open to interpretation or something that's so ingrained in our culture (such as a red light or no-entry sign) that there's an immediate association. These markings and their associated signage are an epic fail on both counts, IMO.

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:18 pm

I see it exactly the same way as Silk.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Silk wrote:The fact that you have to pull over to the hard shoulder, get your calculator out and remember something you were taught in school (assuming you were in attendance that day) before you can work out what the damn things mean only goes to prove my point that they are a complete waste of paint.

Err, the whole point of number lines is that you don't need a calculator. It's a way of teaching BASIC maths at primary school! ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:50 pm

With cars moving it is impossible to have any accurate method...
So I think there is some value in that it makes people think about distance, but it has no clarity

Alasdair

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:39 pm

akirk wrote:With cars moving it is impossible to have any accurate method...
So I think there is some value in that it makes people think about distance, but it has no clarity

I'm assuming that as soon as the chevrons end it goes back to one car length.

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:PS LOL @ Silk the diplomat :P

Someone has to keep you lot from killing each other. :lol:

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:42 am

It was a long time ago, but one night when I was browsing YouTube out of sheer boredom, I found a series of YouTube videos posted by the Highways Agency or something, and they were basically giving tips on how to manage various different situations.

One of them was talking about safe motorway driving, and it had a section where they showed you what to do when you encounter these chevrons on the motorway, and the whole idea is that you're meant to keep two chevrons in full view at all times between you and the vehicle in front.

Meaning, when you cross a chevron, ideally, the vehicle in front would be beyond the 3rd chevron ahead of you, if that makes sense? Basically, make sure there are two clear gaps between chevrons in front of you, kind of like this picture shows.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Which is exactly what GTR1400MAN has been saying about the operative word in the sign being "KEEP" two chevrons apart.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:13 pm

There are more likely to be collisions whilst people work out what a chevron is.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”