texting and driving

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

texting and driving

Postby martine » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:18 pm

I came across this road safety vid on twitter and have shared it on a car forum and it's getting some good responses from some young, non-advanced drivers.

Personally I think these Irish vids are quite well done - I'd like to see the UK do the same.

You might want to share it across your social media networks.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

dvenman

Re: texting and driving

Postby dvenman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:51 am

Posted on Facebook - thanks for this.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:03 am

How do you honestly stop it? It's umpteen years since the breath test came in and there are still people who daily think it Ok to take the risk.
'You can have two pints and drive' is one of the oldest myths still on the record book.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:41 am

sussex2 wrote:How do you honestly stop it? It's umpteen years since the breath test came in and there are still people who daily think it Ok to take the risk.
'You can have two pints and drive' is one of the oldest myths still on the record book.

But drink driving has significantly reduced - probably because people were worried about getting caught (and hence still having annual campaigns). Bring back some roads policing, make people think they might actually get caught for phone use and it would be a start.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:01 am

jont- wrote:
sussex2 wrote:How do you honestly stop it? It's umpteen years since the breath test came in and there are still people who daily think it Ok to take the risk.

But drink driving has significantly reduced - probably because people were worried about getting caught (and hence still having annual campaigns). Bring back some roads policing, make people think they might actually get caught for phone use and it would be a start.

Oh, look, there goes a pig with wings!
There is little or no chance of an increase in mobile police patrols. The town I live in which has 40,000 people or more has no police presence and there is only one mobile police patrol for an area in which more than 100,000 people live.
I'd like to be more optimistic but in the present climate it is simply not going to happen; which means of course that the chances of people being caught is greatly reduced.
It's not going to get any better in the foreseeable future.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:37 am

Drink driving became socially unacceptable and led to peer pressure to not do it.

The only way, short of having a crash when texting and driving, to reduce it as an issue is to do the same thing. But it's not going to happen overnight.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:18 pm

dvenman wrote:Drink driving became socially unacceptable and led to peer pressure to not do it.

The only way, short of having a crash when texting and driving, to reduce it as an issue is to do the same thing. But it's not going to happen overnight.

True, and you will always get the hard core who won't adapt.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:49 am

It's a lot easier to text whilst driving without the pressure of your peers compared to drink driving. I wonder how many people who text/facebook whilst driving still do it whilst there's someone else in the car. Compared to down at the pub with your friends where they are aware that you're driving and how much you've drunk.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:15 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:It's a lot easier to text whilst driving without the pressure of your peers compared to drink driving. I wonder how many people who text/facebook whilst driving still do it whilst there's someone else in the car. Compared to down at the pub with your friends where they are aware that you're driving and how much you've drunk.

You can only tell an adult so much and so many times; beyond that if they chose to play a dangerous game then there is little you can do as the culprit will become devious.
A loud proclamation that they'll be walking or taxiing home will be followed by their car not in the place it was parked.
It's endemic among a certain group which is not a young one either.

superplum

Postby superplum » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Return to “General Chat”