Jet powered stability control...

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
jont-

Jet powered stability control...

Postby jont- » Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/18/bos ... -recovery/
:shock: Solution looking for a problem, or cool new tech? 8-)

Horse

Re: Jet powered stability control...

Postby Horse » Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 pm

https://www.i2imca.com/MachineControl.asp

The result: A series of four powerful one-day courses designed to completely transform your riding.

For example, in the Machine Control training you will learn how to:
- be significantly more confident in the wet or on slippery roads
- skilfully and confidently ride over gravel or bumpy road surfaces
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Years ago, cross ply tyres, abs? (wot that) eps (wot that). There were occasions when leaving the bike to it's own devices (sliding from under) was the best outcome. Deliberately dropping it and let it slide into the problem on it's own could be a lifesaver. As one can see well out of touch with current techniques/machinery, leathers a bit scuffed but still alive. :shock:

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 pm

I'd seen this mentioned elsewhere, but not seen the video. What surprised me was that it appears to be pushing the bike down - I'd assumed it would a VTOL type effect supporting the bike.

But with a small patch of gravel as shown, the bikes momentum would carry the bike across. As long as the rider doesn't do anything to upset it, that is.

So with this new system, what happens if this blast is timed just after the bike's passed across the gravel?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 21, 2018 8:41 pm

vanman wrote: There were occasions when leaving the bike to it's own devices (sliding from under) was the best outcome. Deliberately dropping it and let it slide into the problem on it's own could be a lifesaver. As one can see well out of touch with current techniques/machinery, leathers a bit scuffed but still alive. :shock:

Ah, a biking myths and legends favourite, the old 'I had to pay the bike down to avoid a crash' ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Horse wrote:I'd seen this mentioned elsewhere, but not seen the video. What surprised me was that it appears to be pushing the bike down - I'd assumed it would a VTOL type effect supporting the bike.

The idea seems to be a low down opposite pressure, to counteract the slide. © Mr Newton.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 21, 2018 10:48 pm

Horse wrote:
vanman wrote: There were occasions when leaving the bike to it's own devices (sliding from under) was the best outcome. Deliberately dropping it and let it slide into the problem on it's own could be a lifesaver. As one can see well out of touch with current techniques/machinery, leathers a bit scuffed but still alive. :shock:

Ah, a biking myths and legends favourite, the old 'I had to lay the bike down to avoid a crash' ;)

I'd resisted commenting ;) but as you have. (I corrected the typo too :) )

Stay on and ride it out. A bike/rider on its side will slide for much longer and into other vehicles/street furniture, than if you actually try to counter the slide.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue May 22, 2018 10:29 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:I'd seen this mentioned elsewhere, but not seen the video. What surprised me was that it appears to be pushing the bike down - I'd assumed it would a VTOL type effect supporting the bike.

The idea seems to be a low down opposite pressure, to counteract the slide. © Mr Newton.

Did Mr N explain what happens when the bike's passed the gravel? ;)

For opposite to the slide, wouldn't a pivoting nozzle be beneficial, to really oppose the slide? (Pivoting like the Harrier nozzles. Now, there's a thought . . . another nozzle under the [now ejector] seat!)

I wonder what the effect would be on a cyclist going he opposite way? [No, it probably won't be to save them from a sliding bike :) ]

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”