A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 20, 2019 9:28 pm

martine wrote:Very nice video Mike and great riding. I though your "position 2 and half" was interesting.

Have you taken the advanced car test as well...Obs test...Masters?

The 2.5 was picked up by someone else who uses "between 2 and 3". If I was starting out again I'd use the 5 lane position method, but I'm too old to change now and the books still talk about the 3 positions. Way back it was nearside, sump line and offside. Then left tyre track, sump line, and right tyre (or driver's seat). Then the numbers came in. I'm happy using 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3. Left a bit, right a bit, fire! :D

No-one (here) has picked up the "double S bend" I kept saying in the last but one video. A wag elsewhere asked if that was 4 bends. :lol: Just showing my age and mixing descriptions. S bend. Series of bends. Double bend. I'll endeavour to use the current double bend description in future. :)

Car? Yes, I have a F1rst in it. Have had a Masters Taster Session. Was told I'd easily pass but could work on my commentary (more mention of road condition and more signs was suggested). I'm having local drives with a club member and I've had the offer of a drive/session with ex-police driving school instructor to refine commentary further (via YouTube comments). I'm debating if £300 is good value for just a test. I'd like to have a pair of distinctions as not many people have done that ... but it's a lot of tank fulls of petrol and bacon sarnies to spend.

PS. I realise my commentary is a little bit slanted towards demoing/mentoring/observing, rather than pure commentary. I've been a bike observer for quite some time.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

martine
Posts: 795
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 am

Re: A few more videos

Postby martine » Wed May 22, 2019 8:41 am

You're never too old to change...you could practice 1-5 with 3 being just left of the centreline, 4 being just right and 5 being well over to the right.

Yes I agree £300 is a lot - I took the Masters when it first came out and last year had by first renewal at the old price. It was enjoyable but when it comes up next time I'm not sure I will go for it.

Another way of thinking about it is for that money you can have a half-day serious coaching with an HPC gatekeeper.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu May 23, 2019 8:05 am

martine wrote:You're never too old to change...you could practice 1-5 with 3 being just left of the centreline, 4 being just right and 5 being well over to the right.

Errr ...

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

3 is the middle of your lane :)

1 and 5 are not gutter or right on the white line they are about car wheel tracks. Then people start using + for more extreme positioning :o

I'll stick with what I use and it is more like the books.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: A few more videos

Postby Horse » Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
martine wrote:You're never too old to change...you could practice 1-5 with 3 being just left of the centreline, 4 being just right and 5 being well over to the right.

Errr ...

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

3 is the middle of your lane :)


I've heard 4 & 5 used to mean 'far side of the centre line'.

Lesson: agree terminlology!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu May 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Horse wrote:I've heard 4 & 5 used to mean 'far side of the centre line'.

Lesson: agree terminlology!

Oh yes. I agree. That's also why I stick to 1 to 3 as that fits the three positions in the book the associate gets. ;)

In that style of usage 1 to 3 is your lane and 4 & 5 is offsiding. (Swoon, I'll go for a lie down now :) )
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm

Here's another 30 minutes of motorcycle commentary, this time concentrating on riding in the built up areas of Ipswich. I've lowered the camera a little this time so that the instruments are visible, but I think the screen now needs lowering.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Well here it is, my first voice-over video, rather than live commentary. A couple of word stumbles but I'm pleased with the editing results. :)



Some hints and tips for planning our entry, smooth path, and exit and on some urban roundabouts in the UK, while riding a motorcycle, so that we can make safe, unobtrusive, progress.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby crr003 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:32 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Well here it is, my first voice-over video, rather than live commentary. A couple of word stumbles but I'm pleased with the editing results. :)

Interesting at about 3:15 and the justification for no left shoulder check.
We've (Group) got a couple of examiners at the moment who are both biker and car Plod and they are critical if an Associate (car) trys to leave a roundabout without a nearside shoulder/blind spot check so I've taken to beating a blind spot check into them.

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:03 pm

crr003 wrote:Interesting at about 3:15 and the justification for no left shoulder check.
We've (Group) got a couple of examiners at the moment who are both biker and car Plod and they are critical if an Associate (car) trys to leave a roundabout without a nearside shoulder/blind spot check so I've taken to beating a blind spot check into them.

Did you see the other post where I was critical of 'robotic' shoulder checks in a YouTube channel's videos?

Roadcraft is quite clear ... "consider", not "always" or "must".

What would I be looking for if I did one at the 3:15 exit? Dr Who in his Tardis?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: A few more videos

Postby Horse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:53 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:I've heard 4 & 5 used to mean 'far side of the centre line'.

Lesson: agree terminlology!

Oh yes. I agree. That's also why I stick to 1 to 3 as that fits the three positions in the book the associate gets. ;)

In that style of usage 1 to 3 is your lane and 4 & 5 is offsiding. (Swoon, I'll go for a lie down now :) )


Just reminded me, some time ago I heard a typical UK motorway described as having 5 lanes: 1 4 2 5 3. That's car lanes 1 2 & 3, with 2 motorcycle filtering lanes.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.


Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests