A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Horse wrote:Do you want links / suggestions for more videos?

Always useful. Thx.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:54 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Interesting at about 3:15 and the justification for no left shoulder check.
We've (Group) got a couple of examiners at the moment who are both biker and car Plod and they are critical if an Associate (car) trys to leave a roundabout without a nearside shoulder/blind spot check so I've taken to beating a blind spot check into them.

Did you see the other post where I was critical of 'robotic' shoulder checks in a YouTube channel's videos?

Roadcraft is quite clear ... "consider", not "always" or "must".

What would I be looking for if I did one at the 3:15 exit? Dr Who in his Tardis?

Just sayin.........
But I could see this descending into an "indicating" style argument - "I'm an advanced driver/rider; I only indicate if someone will benefit." But, some will say, "how can you be sure, there's no one there to benefit?" So indicate anyway. So shoulder check anyway?

GTR1400MAN wrote:Crr003 - Just thought about this some more, with relation to cars. Left shoulder check?! Left mirror check, yes. I can't ever remember a left shoulder check in the car. What am I going to see? Passenger head restraint? Porthole sized privacy glass rear door window? Rear quarter of the car or edge of the hatchback? Hmmm.

One of the examiners wants a physical look deeper than the mirror. Unless you're driving a panel van, there is some benefit, but debatable how much.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:10 pm

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Interesting at about 3:15 and the justification for no left shoulder check.
We've (Group) got a couple of examiners at the moment who are both biker and car Plod and they are critical if an Associate (car) trys to leave a roundabout without a nearside shoulder/blind spot check so I've taken to beating a blind spot check into them.

Did you see the other post where I was critical of 'robotic' shoulder checks in a YouTube channel's videos?

Roadcraft is quite clear ... "consider", not "always" or "must".

What would I be looking for if I did one at the 3:15 exit? Dr Who in his Tardis?

Just sayin.........
But I could see this descending into an "indicating" style argument - "I'm an advanced driver/rider; I only indicate if someone will benefit." But, some will say, "how can you be sure, there's no one there to benefit?" So indicate anyway. So shoulder check anyway?

I've had a similar discussion with an ex- London despatch rider, about a lifesaver to the right before major to minor, when there's an oncoming vehicle.

My suggestion is to time arrival at the junction, with a left of centre line position, just as the opposing vehicle passes - 'clearing' the offside. I call it the 'guillotine'. So no LS required.

His view is that in DR days, he 'could' (but, as it's a daft place to overtake, wouldn't) have got through.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am

Horse, that's what I do also. Was suggested by an ex-police rider who was an examiner in the IAM.

At the end of the day you have to advise people to consider doing one. It's a bit Clint Eastwood. "Are you feeling lucky punk?" Some people ride with little ongoing awareness of what is going on behind (and in front for some!) If you have a high rate of mirror use and you maintain that 360 degree map in your head, then you have to ask yourself each time "Do I KNOW what is there" or do I need to check.

Ps That ex courier wouldn't have the initials KW would they?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:09 am

Might do ;) That, and slow riding technique (because he's actually not seen what I taught and the context) are some of the few things we disagree on :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:46 am

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Is that Duncan doing the SIAM? :lol:
(SMIDSY Identification and Avoidance Maneuver)

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:43 pm

You jest ...

I saw a demo by 3 Dutch KNMV instructors. As part of the lead up to showing how simple counters testing was, they debunked all the other myths - body movement etc. They used their Pans' fast idle setting to keep the throttle open and the bike moving at about 20mph. They variously stood up, waved, or laid back on the seat waving arms and legs.

Then, one by one, they demo'd steering, by tying a luggage strap around the right hand grip and gave it a yank.

But the third one had tied the strap slightly differently - and as well as steering it accelerated.

Oops. Worse, it headed off towards a loose earth bank. Along the top of which were all the people attending the bank.

Rider stood up, gave it a big handful, and rode up to the top, to a round of applause.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Here's the next video on roundabouts. This time Dual Carriageway ones.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”