A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Horse

Re: A few more videos

Postby Horse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:51 pm

When I've stopped, it would have been because I thought it was safer for me!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:00 am

I've added another.

Roundabouts - Planning to stop, looking to go. The key to using roundabouts is your approach while assessing what is on the roundabout and what is about to join from your right and left. You may need to stop, but more often than not a small adjustment in speed will allow you to join smoothly without coming to a complete stop. Once on the roundabout don't give up on the observation of what might join from your left.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue May 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Another.

Here's a little clip to show why we keep tucked over to the left in a right hand bend ... until the view opens up! I'm the bike ahead of the camera. This was a narrow country lane and we could debate being close to the entrances, but the lesser of the two evils I think you'll agree. We'd also knocked a lot of speed off. The amber beacon did not show up through the dense headgerow/trees.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 09, 2018 6:33 am

I'm not a fan of using 'positioning' on narrow lanes, that amply demonstrates the likely hazards. Time to 'contact'/passing from first sight seemed (viewing on a phone screen) to be 3 - 4 seconds - not very long and, if you'd been in a wider vehicle, possibly on or beyond stopping limits for both vehicles.

I had a trainee ask "What can you say to make me slow down on country lanes?". I asked whether he'd seen tractors with those big spikes on the front for lifting bales? He winced, and said "OK" :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Horse wrote:I'm not a fan of using 'positioning' on narrow lanes ...

So where would you have been riding is this video? Or have I misunderstood your comment?

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 09, 2018 7:37 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:I'm not a fan of using 'positioning' on narrow lanes ...

So where would you have been riding is this video? Or have I misunderstood your comment?

As a general principle, on narrow / single track lanes, I'll stay towards the left on left handers.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Ah, left handers. Me too. I tend to sit wide in a strong position a long way out, but as I get closer I move in. I understand the argument of being out wide and going slow IN A CAR. A fender bender, while not desirable, is 'just' money/inconvenience at low speed. On a bike, it still, at the very least, hurts!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 am

I've added a new video to my YouTube channel.

A video on Acceleration Sense including some demo footage showing subtle use of the throttle in the existing gear and some tests of slowing in different gears. I produced this following a discussion on one of Seaflyfisher's excellent Motorcycling Masterclass videos, a collection of which you can find on my channel.
NB. This video includes an experiment of showing my speedo and instruments, for gear etc., following previous requests in the comments of other videos. The results are a little disappointing as the position of the camera doesn't show the actual needle view that the rider of the motorcycle gets. It also shows that either the camera mount or the instruments are not perfectly in line with the headstock. To be explored some more.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:28 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: NB. This video includes an experiment of showing my speedo and instruments, for gear etc., following previous requests in the comments of other videos. The results are a little disappointing as the position of the camera doesn't show the actual needle view that the rider of the motorcycle gets. It also shows that either the camera mount or the instruments are not perfectly in line with the headstock.

Use picture in picture - albeit two cameras needed and loads more editing time!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote: NB. This video includes an experiment of showing my speedo and instruments, for gear etc., following previous requests in the comments of other videos. The results are a little disappointing as the position of the camera doesn't show the actual needle view that the rider of the motorcycle gets. It also shows that either the camera mount or the instruments are not perfectly in line with the headstock.

Use picture in picture - albeit two cameras needed and loads more editing time!

Have you watched it? :roll:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”