'Advanced' - a solicitor writes

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: 'Advanced' - a solicitor writes

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Always best to tone down the positioning on a bike if being followed closely by a car. It can/does cause confusion. Some may even think you are trying to block them in some way.

Of course sticking spot on to 30 through the villages is fine and gives them a lesson in speed limit adherence :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:56 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Always best to tone down the positioning on a bike if being followed closely by a car. It can/does cause confusion. Some may even think you are trying to block them in some way.

If you are being followed closely, perhaps you are holding them up, and should cooperate and let them overtake you?

GTR1400MAN wrote:Of course sticking spot on to 30 through the villages is fine and gives them a lesson in speed limit adherence :)

I lost track of the number of times I was overtaken in the Caterham when sticking to 50kph in villages in France. Never took long to get past them again once we got back out though :roll: :gear:

I've been overtaken in the UK a fair few times in villages too, but nowhere near as often.

And yes, I've not infrequently found bikers "holding me up" on NSL sections - even more irritating when they've overtaken you in the previous village :bash:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:40 pm

jont- wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Always best to tone down the positioning on a bike if being followed closely by a car. It can/does cause confusion. Some may even think you are trying to block them in some way.

If you are being followed closely, perhaps you are holding them up, and should cooperate and let them overtake you?

Really? By closely, I mean at a reasonable following distance and not one several hundred yards behind.

Does "holding them up" include me sticking to the speed limits? If they get to be a liability by being too close I will move over and let them go past ... and then end up overtaking them again back in the NSL (unless they are ignoring that too).

More of a problem are vans/buses/trucks who once they see you in their rear view mirror on a rural NSL B road switch into "they (bikers) shall not pass" mode, entering corners at ridiculous speeds and making their vehicle as wide as possible. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi
Off topic but did you see the Guy Martin program on autonomous vehicles? one short clip was on no win situations, someone will die the decision is who. So at least someone now recognises that even the proposed super safe vehicles may end up having to decide if they kill their occupants or someone else. The are inviting the public to view situations and decide who dies then feeding this in to their matrix.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Is it a human that programmes the robot? ;)

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... rless-cars
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Horse wrote:Is it a human that programmes the robot? ;)

Largely it isn't a human that programs the car. They write a program that can learn (to drive), and then encourage it to do so. This renders a lot of the "what should it do in this situation" irrelevant, because nobody made that decision. The more rules we try and program in, the less good the system tends to be. Expert systems with human programmed rules have largely died out as inferior to ai that decides its own rules; usually in a manner incomprehensible to humans.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:52 pm

It depends ...

0010 If x = y then z
0020 elsif z > z then x
0030 elsif s == t then y
0040 elsif (y = z) and p < t then q
0050 ...
and on until
9900 else goto 0010

:)

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Pyrolol wrote:
Horse wrote:Is it a human that programmes the robot? ;)

Largely it isn't a human that programs the car. They write a program that can learn (to drive), and then encourage it to do so. This renders a lot of the "what should it do in this situation" irrelevant, because nobody made that decision. The more rules we try and program in, the less good the system tends to be. Expert systems with human programmed rules have largely died out as inferior to ai that decides its own rules; usually in a manner incomprehensible to humans.

Indeed, and it's going to make the ensuing court cases particularly challenging when software has been integrated from multiple places and they're trying to work out who foots the bill.

There's an MIT site trying to learn about "moral dilemmas" and how people react in picking least worst options which I find quite offensive - if cars are getting into a situation when they're still moving after a primary braking system has failed (and they haven't used the secondary to stop), there are far more fundamental problems than whether you swerve or not.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:29 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:It depends ...

0010 If x = y then z
0020 elsif z > z then x
0030 elsif s == t then y
0040 elsif (y = z) and p < t then q
0050 ...
and on until
9900 else goto 0010

:)

Now is x a bug splat on the camera or a pedestrian about to walk out into the road....?

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”