Motorcycles and SatNav use

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
akirk

Re: Motorcycles and SatNav use

Postby akirk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12 am

martine wrote:
akirk wrote: So you can hand hold a tomtom etc. under the legislation

But my tomtom has 'live traffic' and connects to the tomtom servers regularly using a built-in sim...does that count as 'communication'? Who knows?

except that it could be argued that it is not for the purpose of providing you with access to the internet - so, probably okay... however this is where legislation is not in touch with the rapid change in technology and this update was a missed opportunity to clarify... As much as legislation like this helps the police make prosecutions but specifying actions which are illegal - by its nature, it makes it harder to prosecute others as the legislation doesn't exclude those actions... sometimes more generic law is better...

Alasdair

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:56 am

martine wrote:Anyone know why handheld radios are specifically exempt from this law?

Perhaps they thought that users would be professional drivers, (emergency services, pmr for business use). Alternatively, it may be that single-alternate speaking was thought to be less of a distraction than two-way speaking.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Alasdair, the list is inclusive not exhaustive so things can be added to it. A sat/nav communicates with a satellite and the user interacts with it so it is certainly capable of being added to the list.

superplum

Postby superplum » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:56 pm

martine wrote:Anyone know why handheld radios are specifically exempt from this law?

The law was "designed" to cover mobile phones by specififying the GSM frequency bands which two-way radios don't use. The legislation listed at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003 ... ion/2/made give sthe details. I've no idea if this has been expanded to give a broader catchment.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 pm

I put the following on MCN's post. They have now deleted the page from their website with no explanation or comment.

This is the original 2003 law of hand held device use. As far as I am aware there are no new laws just an increase in fine and doubling of points and increase coverage in the media. I'm sure the 45 degree thing is referring to clear windcreens in cars as specified in the MOT rules. MCN, this article needs updating and clarifying with clear links to the LAW (if there is anything new) and how you are coming to this conclusion. One could argue modern SatNavs are in fact like a Handsfree kit installed in a car, allowing you to make calls by voice alone!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003 ... ion/2/made
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 am

mainbeam wrote:A sat/nav communicates with a satellite

You've got completely the wrong end of the stick.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 am

well done - so basically bad / lazy journalism!

Alasdair

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 am

Gareth wrote:
mainbeam wrote:A sat/nav communicates with a satellite

You've got completely the wrong end of the stick.

Which is irrelevant if it it is a device that meets the criteria of communication and interaction.

It doesn't need to be on the list to be caught by the legislation.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:12 am

"which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data"

A SatNag only receives data from the satellite. No different to a DAB radio receiving a digital radio signal from a mast.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 am

You are correct albeit via a different route than Alastair's,

para. 4

(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), ... is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”