'Filtering' Accident

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: 'Filtering' Accident

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat May 07, 2016 8:07 am

Some interesting thoughts guys. Here's what I commented when this was shared elsewhere. I don't think it was deliberate.

Hmm, filtering is allowed, however you still have to look after yourself. Why would you position yourself so close that if the car creeps forward (and a lot do) that it runs over your foot? She did the classic, positioning the bike to try and force the car to let you in. Look what happened. You'll always come off second best. Sorry. The driver doesn't seem the brightest cookie in the box.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat May 07, 2016 8:21 am

If you watch the video for a bit longer after the collision, once she gets up and returns to her journey, you'll see why she didn't employ any of the get away quicker tactics.

She was going left!

So a complete mess of a filter move.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

MotorSportsFan

Postby MotorSportsFan » Sat May 07, 2016 3:45 pm

Gareth wrote:As demonstrated, while it might be legal it isn't what one would normally do in other queuing situations, such as waiting for the next bank teller.

While this behaviour seems to be fairly common, how would it have felt to the queuing drivers if someone in a supercar drove past using the right turn lane, with the aim of out-accelerating the lead car to turn left, or angling to push in behind the lead car, when the filter light changed?

Your description is clearly how many drivers view the behaviour, however it is not remotely analogous to queuing for a bank teller. I will absolutely not delay you when I filter to the front.

The supercar scenario also doesn't work because their footprint is just way too big, a bike is capable of making progress without causing others to change speed or direction where your supercar would be forcing people to swerve or brake.
Chris Kelly
Manchester 500 Advanced Motorcyclists (IAM group)

MotorSportsFan

Postby MotorSportsFan » Sat May 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Having said the above, if the young lady came to me with the above my first question would be the same one that I ask everyone who complained about another road user. "What could you have done to achieve a different outcome?"
Chris Kelly
Manchester 500 Advanced Motorcyclists (IAM group)

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat May 07, 2016 3:52 pm

MotorSportsFan wrote:I will absolutely not delay you when I filter to the front.

You might not, but I've had bikes pass me in queues (in roadworks) only to hold me up for the next few miles along some twisties which has left me less than impressed :twisted:

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat May 07, 2016 5:00 pm

MotorSportsFan wrote:I will absolutely not delay you when I filter to the front.

You may not, but I get a bit narked that so many motorcyclists decline to out-accelerate my fairly mundane diesel estate.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat May 07, 2016 5:44 pm

Despite the stereotype, you'd be surprised just how slow/ponderous many riders are. They also regularly underestimate 'mundane' hatchbacks and estates. One of the reasons filtering to a position of a drag race is often not a good idea.

gannet

Postby gannet » Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:If you watch the video for a bit longer after the collision, once she gets up and returns to her journey, you'll see why she didn't employ any of the get away quicker tactics.

She was going left!

So a complete mess of a filter move.

Many drivers simply don't appreciate how vulnerable two wheeled road users are, until it's too late :D

I've had someone stop in front of me to let a bus out before, so shocked when I rear ended them because I couldn't stop the push bike in the same space she could. Learning exercise for me... She was foreign and used to laws where you have to let buses pull out, so stopped dead. I didn't and now leave more space...

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun May 08, 2016 4:52 am

MotorSportsFan wrote:Having said the above, if the young lady came to me with the above my first question would be the same one that I ask everyone who complained about another road user. "What could you have done to achieve a different outcome?"

You need to really work on your chat-up lines...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Why are the British so short tempered when driving/riding, and so bad mannered as well?
I really notice it much more these days than before; there is now such a distinct difference when returning to this country.
Pedestrians are pretty much left to fend for themselves, and anyone who dares challenge the almighty right of the car, is deemed somehow cheeky or rude.
This basic lack of manners and civility lets us down badly.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”