'Filtering' Accident

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
fungus

Re: 'Filtering' Accident

Postby fungus » Tue May 10, 2016 7:41 pm

I'm afraid I have to agree with Alisdair on this. That's not to say that I'm excusing the behaviour of the car driver, but what she did calls her sanity into question.

Nigel.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue May 10, 2016 8:00 pm

It's me again, being judgemental! ;)

Here's the rider's follow-up video, displaying the high quality attentive riding she does. Why do some people have to talk with their hands? :o

At about 9:00 minutes she arrives at the scene of the crime, and does indeed make a left turn. She's still blathering on about it being legal.

Youtube Video
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Tue May 10, 2016 8:43 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Why do some people have to talk with their hands? :o

Oi! I do that. :)

Granted, I drive a car, not ride a bike, but still. Never found it to be an issue in a car really, although I tend to keep the hand at the very least in the immediate proximity of the wheel if not still on the rim itself.

There are many countries (mine included) where it is very normal in practically any situation and at all times.

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Wed May 11, 2016 12:54 am

Astraist, do you believe that your hands are important in the act of verbal communication when driving? If so, surely when the passenger next to you is talking, you should be watching their hands too...just in case you miss something?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed May 11, 2016 7:09 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:She's still blathering on about it being legal.

I'm not entirely clear about why the claim that the motorist knocked the motorcyclist down is repeated ad nauseum.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:55 am

In the follow on video the rider is yattering on about cameras, and confidence, approaching exactly the type of junction that should have demanded her entire concentration. I can't even detect a reduction in speed.
There is something substantially wrong with the riders attitude, and or, sense of entitlement.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed May 11, 2016 7:56 am

she is trying to justify everything she does - and to be fair in the initial video at least (can't be bothered to waste more time watching another :)) she is probably in shock... she is of course right, filtering is legal, but that is too simplistic - it is like saying 'Officer driving forwards is legal' - yes it is but not at 150mph :D

Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:00 am

There could be a degree of shock and I appreciate that; however there is something serious lacking in the attitude department with this rider.
An apparent lack of any kind of systematic approach and perception of hazard doesn't bode well for the future; irrespective of how many cameras they have.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:44 am

ps They were lucky to find a police station open.
Hereabouts I'd have to drive/ride 30 minutes out of my way to find such a rare phenomena :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 11, 2016 11:20 am

sussex2 wrote:There is something substantially wrong with the riders attitude, and or, sense of entitlement.

Jump to 5:40 onwards in this video and see how a horse and rider are treated. Listen to the following comments and then read the supportive comments on YouTube.

Sadly this is the type of attitude that any road safety initiative in this country has to get past. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”