Tyres fitted to front or rear

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Rolyan

Tyres fitted to front or rear

Postby Rolyan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:25 am

My partner has a Toyota Yaris with 4 all season tyres fitted. The 2 front ones need changing due to wear. She is having 2 all season tyres fitted, and was going to put them on the front, but the garage advised her to put the better ones on the back, swapping those to the front.

She’s asked me for advice, but when I look online the advice is conflicting to some degree, although the general advice is to fit the better ones to the rear. It’s not 100% though.

We use all season tyres as we get some snow over winter and being rural the roads are not always cleared as they should be. The all seasons are a good compromise. She is no boy racer and is a good all round steady driver, wanting peace of mind in bad weather and/or winter conditions.

So.......what would people on here generally suggest in the above scenario. New one to the front, or swap and our new ones to the rear?

Thanks for any help and input.

martine

Re: Tyres fitted to front or rear

Postby martine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:40 am

Best tyres on the rear is the recommendation from the manufacturers. Reason is understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

E.G. https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire-gui ... -two-tires
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:44 am

martine wrote:Best tyres on the rear is the recommendation from the manufacturers. Reason is understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

Would you say this applies equally when they are all season tyres/winter tyres, or perhaps even more so.

The advice online is conflicting. Even Michelin say it’s not black and white, there are pros and cons and that each driver should make their own decision. Very helpful!!!

Thanks for the link by the way. The tyres are Goodyear, vectors 4 seasons gen2.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:59 am

Couldn't find the Michelin advice but did find this...from Michelin USA...
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 pm

When the conditions for which you bought the tyres prevail, would you choose to have more grip at the front axle or the rear?

David

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:47 pm

I prefer to have more grip at the rear because I'm not convinced I'm good enough a driver to be certain of catching it if the rear breaks away.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:20 pm

there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm

kfae8959 wrote:When the conditions for which you bought the tyres prevail, would you choose to have more grip at the front axle or the rear?

David

My initial thought was more grip at the front. But then I thought that IF it’s going to go, understeer maybe more desirable than oversteer, so more grip at the rear is preferable.

The other point obviously is that the tyres are used all round.

But I take your point.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Gareth wrote:I prefer to have more grip at the rear because I'm not convinced I'm good enough a driver to be certain of catching it if the rear breaks away.

Or in extremis, it doesn't matter how good a driver you are because you have no grip at the rear, and grip at the front.

I think in the old forum stressed dave went into some detail on the physics.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 pm

I was always a best on the front man until a long discussion on the old IAM Forum and some online reading. Now I get the newest put on the rear ... even if I have to argue the case with a dealer.

Have had similar 'discussions' with my dealer when they rotated and muddled the tyres up despite advice in the manual not to do this. I like to be able to spot uneven wear. You can't if the tyres have been moved.

Also watch out for dealers moving wheels on cars with TPMS systems that know which corner is which.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”