Block Changes - How Many Do You Miss?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Block Changes - How Many Do You Miss?

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:17 am

If you're doing a block change, how many intermediate gears will you typically miss out?

The most common ones I do are between (both up and down) 2nd and 4th, and 3rd and 5th. Do you do more, if so in what circumstances and would it entail travelling some distance with the clutch disengaged (e.g. a 5th down to 2nd change)?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Re: Block Changes - How Many Do You Miss?

Postby jont- » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 am

It depends...? :lol:

The caterham can manage 1st to 6th because the ratios are so close (I've not often done that, but 1-3, or 2-5 might get used). Coming down the box 6-3 is used a bit.

In the Subaru it's probably similar to you, but again I might use 6-3 when catching someone up and setting up for an overtake.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:55 am

I often to a 6th to 1st change when stopping - but I guess that's probably not what you mean.

Yeah usually 5th to 3rd (e.g. entering a 30 limit) or 4th to 2nd (entering a 20 limit). I did a 2nd to 5th change recently and that was a first but I can't remember where/why :roll:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Horse wrote:If you're doing a block change, how many intermediate gears will you typically miss out?

Are you sure this is a useful question? What is the sequence that leads you to make a block change?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:If you're doing a block change, how many intermediate gears will you typically miss out?

Are you sure this is a useful question? What is the sequence that leads you to make a block change?

Slowing

Coming off the M4 at J13, being met by a red light. If there's been no reason to slow leaving the motorway - or perhaps good reason to maintain speed on it and into the slip road, then a long slip road leading down to lights at the roundabout:

https://goo.gl/maps/u3bcRGQDvvZPdkj86

I'd typically be easing off before the crest, or braking depending on other traffic.

If I slow in 5th, I'll need to declutch or it (1.6TD) will stall when the revs drop, 3rd is a comfortable next selection. To go to a lower gear, I'd need to keep the clutch in as speed dropped further (it will pull from second as soon as it's rolling, so it's fairly low).

If trickling down to the lights, I'd go to first after stopping, second if I think the lights are about to change and can keep rolling.

Accelerating

Accelerating up to a certain speed, perhaps achieved in 3rd, but there's no benefit from staying in 3rd or even 4th, so go directly from 3rd to 5th. Perhaps going the opposite direction could be a reasonable example:

Roundabout has several sets of lights, so likely to be pulling away from the final set. Then uphill slip road, so hold third until onto the main carriageway. If when on there, if there's no traffic, get into L1 then go 3rd to 5th.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Horse wrote:Slowing

Coming off the M4 at J13, being met by a red light. If there's been no reason to slow leaving the motorway - or perhaps good reason to maintain speed on it and into the slip road, then a long slip road leading down to lights at the roundabout

I'd probably be using top on a motorway, with 6 gears block-changing to 4th somewhere in the countdown markers -- on the basis that I was in the cruising gear and would be reverting to a (more) flexible gear. However, with a long offslip, I might delay that initial change until on the offslip. With 5 gears it might be 5th to 3rd, initially. Then, approaching the lights, I would change down to the appropriate gear if continuing.

Horse wrote:Accelerating

Accelerating up to a certain speed, perhaps achieved in 3rd, but there's no benefit from staying in 3rd or even 4th, so go directly from 3rd to 5th.

If I accelerate briskly, I hold the low gears until peak power (or so) then up one, repeatedly. At the speed limit, block up to highest that works for that speed and the conditions.

Some block-up before reaching their desired speed, which just takes more time and reduces progress. Makes me wonder if they are just following the pattern rather than understanding why and when; if they are not getting on with it, does holding a lower gear for longer confer any advantage?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm

Gareth wrote: I'd probably be using top ... changing to 4th somewhere in the countdown markers -- on the basis that I was in the cruising gear and would be reverting to a (more) flexible gear. However, with a long offslip, I might delay that initial change until on the offslip. With 5 gears it might be 5th to 3rd, initially. Then, approaching the lights, I would change down to the appropriate gear if continuing.

I'll try changing down sooner tonight (traffic permitting), partly it's worth holding a fair bit of speed until just before the crest as if the lights sequence permits (you get to know timing, etc.*) it can be reasonable to slow to 40 to enter the junction.

* Including that 'red' often seems to be an advisory rather than mandatory there just after they change . . .

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Ah dear old J13, I use it regularly. It's a very long slip and shortly after the picture shown it widens out into four lanes (two South, two North possibly). But you can see the lights way back just as you come over the "hump". I quite often do this at night, with not much traffic so with the long slip I'll be watching for the lights and where they are in the phase ... just the same as Horse. I'm either in Saab estate which is automatic anyway or Red Saab which has a five speed box. Which immediately brings up the question, block changes with six, block changes with five? If it looks as though I'm going to get there at red, I may not even go below 3. But if they do change (and you can see the Southbound amber at night) just 3 to 2 and off we go, just in time to get stopped at the next lights ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Well that didn't happen as planned ...

50 advisory speed limit, two traffic officer vehicles and an ambo, with an HGV.

However, I did notice that the traffic lights are a 'stacked pair', so even in daylight the red can be seen from way back before the crest. Tonight, I was in 4th leaving the main carriageway. Lights were on red, traffic light. Sequence started, I braked slightly, down to third, so was ready for accelerating through (which happened) or braking if necessary.

However, further down the A339, though, 70 dual in 5th, then a roundabout. Braking, off brakes, into 3rd to drive around, so another example.

Amending earlier reply, 3rd is comfy up to about 60, about 3.5k revs, so so some in reserve, but an example of using a block change up was earlier, traveling in third through bends in a 40, then up to 5th in the following 60, with traffic ahead.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 pm

Horse wrote:3rd is comfy up to about 60, about 3.5k revs, so so some in reserve

What would you go up to while accelerating? Are you happy changing down from 4th/5th to 3rd at the road-speed / engine-speed you'd be at when changing up?

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”