Best driving roads - Based on experience.

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
akirk

Re: Best driving roads - Based on experience.

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:45 pm

StressedDave wrote:KML/KMZ is used by both Google Earth and Google Maps. If you use My Maps in Google you can save from there or just post a link...

Presumably that is based on having first created a route (i.e. directions from A to B)?

Alasdair

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Yep - saved for posterity.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:27 pm

fab - I will have a play - thank you

Alasdair

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:46 pm

A169, A170, A171, B1416 - well they were until I wore 'em out. :mrgreen:

R_U_LOCAL

Postby R_U_LOCAL » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:24 pm

England - the A686 between Penrith and Alston.

Wales - the A4212 between Bala and Trawsfynydd.

Scotland - the B863 from Glencoe, right round Loch Leven to Kinlochleven and back to Ballachulish.

Of the three, the Kinlochleven road is my favourite. If you're ever in the Highlands, it's well worth the 20ish mile detour from the A82. The section which runs along the north side of the loch is particularly special.
Reg Local - author of "Advanced & Performance Driving" http://tinyurl.com/qbxwocx

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 am

R_U_LOCAL wrote:Wales - the A4212 between Bala and Trawsfynydd.

Scotland - the B863 from Glencoe, right round Loch Leven to Kinlochleven and back to Ballachulish.

Of the three, the Kinlochleven road is my favourite. If you're ever in the Highlands, it's well worth the 20ish mile detour from the A82. The section which runs along the north side of the loch is particularly special.

I find the Bala road just a bit too fast and not hugely challenging, although the scenery is a little bit special. There is a cracking B-road off to the right about halfway down that takes you to Ffestiniog that's worth a punt. I've got a whole stack of roads round there that are decent. Shouldn't have spent more than a decade trying them out.

Kinlochleven is special though... I like the A701 from Edinburgh down as well. 40+ miles of challenge.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:39 am

akirk wrote: Presumably that is based on having first created a route (i.e. directions from A to B)?

Alasdair

I had a bike trainee who described his riding as 'A to A' :)

Anyway . . .

http://www.thebestrides.co.uk/
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:43 am

Ah, so for car drivers, the best roads would be any not mentioned on that site then - I find it very tedious having to be side-stepping motorcyclists coming towards me with their head and half their bodies on my side of the white line on left handers ... not to mention having to be constantly alert to what they're doing just behind me in my blind spot whenever I'm hoping for an overtake on the car in front.
Nick

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:54 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Ah, so for car drivers, the best roads would be any not mentioned on that site then - I find it very tedious having to be side-stepping motorcyclists coming towards me with their head and half their bodies on my side of the white line on left handers ... not to mention having to be constantly alert to what they're doing just behind me in my blind spot whenever I'm hoping for an overtake on the car in front.

I find them most vexing when they barge past in a village, only to hold you up in the twisties :twisted:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:58 am

Hehe - I followed a m/c on Thursday afternoon on the twisty roads of North Worcestershire for a while. He had a pillion, so this may have been the cause of the eventual outcome. He was doing very nicely, and I followed at a respectable distance, but keeping up everywhere. Eventually he pulled over and rather grumpily motioned me past.
Nick

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”