Best driving roads - Based on experience.

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Playtent

Best driving roads - Based on experience.

Postby Playtent » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Shropshire B4364 Bridgnorth - Ludlow.

Out of 10 I'd have to say an 7.5. It's around 20 miles and good for cars or bikes. Mostly NSL except for some villages, plenty of challenging corners and quiet unless its a Sunday.

What are your recommendations? If we can keep the same format then it will be an easy thread to read when searching for good roads.

chriskay

Re: Best driving roads - Based on experience.

Postby chriskay » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Yes, and having done that, go North a couple of miles on the A49, right on the B4365 until you reach the B4368, turn right and when you reach Morville, right on the A458 back to Bridgnorth. A great circuit.
Carpe diem

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Playtent wrote:Shropshire B4364 Bridgnorth - Ludlow.

Out of 10 I'd have to say an 7.5. It's around 20 miles and good for cars or bikes. Mostly NSL except for some villages, plenty of challenging corners and quiet unless its a Sunday.

What are your recommendations? If we can keep the same format then it will be an easy thread to read when searching for good roads.

If you / someone else can think of the ideal structured data etc. then I would be happy to automate it, e.g. if you wanted to use www.latlong.net to provide a lat and long of start and finish of each road, I can stick it in a database and put it onto google maps...

Alasdair

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:08 pm

akirk wrote:

If you / someone else can think of the ideal structured data etc. then I would be happy to automate it, e.g. if you wanted to use http://www.latlong.net to provide a lat and long of start and finish of each road, I can stick it in a database and put it onto google maps...

Alasdair

Great idea. I think it would a good resource with all our knowledge of great roads. Any ideas guys on a format?

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Can we keep it in members only? Last thing I want is the roads getting popular :lol:

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:35 pm

A3124 between North Tawton and Winkleigh in Devon. Not that long, but a good stretch,

Also the B3223 south out of Lynmouth area heading down to Simonsbath on Exmoor. Some awesome bits over there. streetview link below.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.19528 ... 312!8i6656

titian

Postby titian » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:58 am

Although in recent months, after top dressing with tar and chippings, there has been more white paint added to this route, it still holds an attraction for me...

From Gisburn in the Ribble Valley in Lancashire, drive the A682 to Long Preston, North Yorkshire, then you may choose to continue along the A65 towards Skipton. There are numerous options presented along that road, maybe up into the Yorkshire dales and loop back towards Settle, the market town where Edward Elgar lived and composed the famous "Nimrod" part of the Inigma Variations.

Gisburn - Start Lat: 53.935535, Long -2.258977
Long Preston - End Lat 54.016629, Long -2.251562

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:24 am

akirk wrote:

If you / someone else can think of the ideal structured data etc. then I would be happy to automate it, e.g. if you wanted to use http://www.latlong.net to provide a lat and long of start and finish of each road, I can stick it in a database and put it onto google maps...

Alasdair

KML/KMZ file - store somewhere handy like DropBox and put links to in a nice database. Job jobbed. Personally I normally use QGIS to provide nice printed maps for all the Luddites out there. A simple PDF of a route works nicely. I've got a PDF somewhere showing how to do it. I'll dig it out some time.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:07 am

StressedDave wrote:KML/KMZ file - store somewhere handy like DropBox and put links to in a nice database. Job jobbed. Personally I normally use QGIS to provide nice printed maps for all the Luddites out there. A simple PDF of a route works nicely. I've got a PDF somewhere showing how to do it. I'll dig it out some time.

That would be useful - I am not sure if everyone knows how to create KML / KMZ files - but happy to store them and link to them, and even dynamically overlay them etc... would of course be more detailed than just start / end points - but both have value

Alasdair

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:36 am

KML/KMZ is used by both Google Earth and Google Maps. If you use My Maps in Google you can save from there or just post a link...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”