Shocking driving? Not all the time

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
akirk

Re: Shocking driving? Not all the time

Postby akirk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 pm

jont- wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Dashcam footage! Moments in time and not the full story and not a way to do real policing.

No different in that sense to speed cameras :roll:

Except that they measure a physical / numerical boundary
Dashcams are about offences which are potentially more subjective

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:51 pm

akirk wrote:
jont- wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Dashcam footage! Moments in time and not the full story and not a way to do real policing.

No different in that sense to speed cameras :roll:

Except that they measure a physical / numerical boundary
Dashcams are about offences which are potentially more subjective

Alasdair

Some aspects can be objective: speed determined by on-road markings (eg white lines, which are set distances Vs video frames) and absolute position with lanes, or relative to each other (requires in-depth analysis using the in-vehicle position etc.), then build a timeline from that.

But it requires a lot of effort!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Unfortunately a dash-cam is a witness looking fixedly ahead (or astern) with tunnel vision.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:10 am

Triquet wrote:Unfortunately a dash-cam is a witness looking fixedly ahead (or astern) with tunnel vision.

Indeed, but some evidence is better than none.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think the key thing with the BMW one is that the video is taken from a 3rd car that you never see because you're inside it. It's the effect on that driver that you have to assess, not the others on the roundabout.

It's possible, from the video, that the Honda's lane and the BMW's lane are both heading off onto the dual carriageway, so the BMW is happily positioned to make progress. What we can't see is any moves by the camera car across lanes - that's why I'm interested in seeing the road layout.

I really don't want BMW drivers to get a worse reputation than they already have, now I are one myself...

hir

Postby hir » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:42 am

I have a video still of the BMW cutting across the bows of the video car but have no idea how to upload it onto this forum. Can anyone advise how to do this, please?

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:46 am

Go into the full editor
below the message bit are two tabs - options and attachments
in attachments - click to add files
then press the button: 'Place inline''
If it won't upload - make sure it is not too huge...
My preference is to have larger images hosted elsewhere, so as not to fill up my server - but smallish (sub- 1Mb) images are generally not an issue...

e.g.:

chassis.jpg
chassis.jpg (484.04 KiB) Viewed 10407 times

Alasdair

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 am

Hir - I know which frame you're talking about. It does look like the BMW "cuts across the bows" but if the camera car moved lanes in between the rear and forward facing shots, then it's in the wrong, not the BMW.

That's why I want to look on Google Maps or the like at road markings.

hir

Postby hir » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:16 am

akirk wrote:Go into the full editor
below the message bit are two tabs - options and attachments
in attachments - click to add files
then press the button: 'Place inline''
If it won't upload - make sure it is not too huge...
My preference is to have larger images hosted elsewhere, so as not to fill up my server - but smallish (sub- 1Mb) images are generally not an issue...

Alasdair

Many thanks,

John

hir

Postby hir » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:10 pm

dvenman wrote:Hir - I know which frame you're talking about. It does look like the BMW "cuts across the bows" but if the camera car moved lanes in between the rear and forward facing shots, then it's in the wrong, not the BMW.

That's why I want to look on Google Maps or the like at road markings.

I think the road may be too new to be on Google earth. I would suggest that the following sequence of stills is fairly conclusive as to the reason why the "desk-bound traffic cops" might have shown an interest. In the first still the BMW appears to be in lane 3 of the roundabout positioned to go further around the roundabout, and the "video car" appears to be correctly positioned in lane 2 of the roundabout for lane 2 of the exit road. The BMW then decides "to go for it" at the exit which is what spooked the driver of the "video car". But, as I said before, this happens all the time on the roads, I really can't understand why this particular "holier than thou" dash-cam warrior is incapable looking in his mirrors when exiting roundabouts and then driving defensively in order to deal with the idiot in the BMW without drama or recourse to the police, and then get on with his life. I see no real need for someone who can't be bothered to look in their mirrors to be wasting police time on something like this. Of course the police love it; it makes for an easy life for them and they can then claim "to be seen to be doing something about dangerous driving".

BMW in Lane 3 of roundabout.jpg
BMW in Lane 3 of roundabout.jpg (164.01 KiB) Viewed 10402 times

BMW exiting roundabout.jpg
BMW exiting roundabout.jpg (197.81 KiB) Viewed 10402 times

Lane 2 exit.jpg
Lane 2 exit.jpg (204.44 KiB) Viewed 10402 times

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”