Second thoughts on offsiding

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
kfae8959

Re: Second thoughts on offsiding

Postby kfae8959 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Stefluc1 wrote:I will move out when safe on the approach to a left hand bend and carry out a long tapered approach based on the information that comes to me resulting in either staying out and negotiating the bend with a view or tapering back in to the near side as the view lessens

Thank you - I found that an admirably clear and succinct description of my approach (and, I think, the approach advocated by other contributors, including Gareth).

David

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 am

Horse wrote:Thanks, Jon. To clarify, are they "100+" locations? The reason I ask is because they are both different.

The A832 example I would happily use the full width, but from the view Google provides there is already a full view of the road width and surface, so no view is added from using an extended position.

The A890 is slightly different, as the verge on the left starts to obscure the road surface, so then the braking from speed (while in a curve) abilities become important. From the camera position, the distance to the point (on the image) where the verge is furthest out to the right (nothing magical, just easy to identify) is about 90m (from the white line markings) so already within the Highway Code 70m distance.

But the much beyond that starts to lose view of the road surface - and that's with the camera already offside and much higher than a usual driver's eye height. So is there, honestly and safely, a case for doing 100+ there?

The A890 you could start from further back, I was trying to get the wide angle camera close enough to show the curve.

How could I comment on whether 100+ is viable? I don't have exemptions. But 60 feels unnecessarily slow around there :lol: :gear:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 am

Horse wrote:Thanks, Jon. To clarify, are they "100+" locations? The reason I ask is because they are both different.

The A832 example I would happily use the full width, but from the view Google provides there is already a full view of the road width and surface, so no view is added from using an extended position.

Perhaps not. But increasing the radius of the curve and therefore adding stability *is*.

Horse wrote:The A890 is slightly different, as the verge on the left starts to obscure the road surface, so then the braking from speed (while in a curve) abilities become important.

See above.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:37 am

jont- wrote: The A890 you could start from further back, I was trying to get the wide angle camera close enough to show the curve.

Fair point, and without either going there or 'driving' through on Streetview and counting the lines it would be difficult to tell how the view varied.

jont- wrote:How could I comment on whether 100+ is viable? I don't have exemptions. But 60 feels unnecessarily slow around there

*cough* Don't know what you mean *cough* :D

Strangely Brown wrote:
Horse wrote:The A832 example I would happily use the full width, but from the view Google provides there is already a full view of the road width and surface, so no view is added from using an extended position.

Perhaps not. But increasing the radius of the curve and therefore adding stability *is*.

Is stability often an issue on public roads during cornering? Perhaps it could be argued that if you're at risk of losing control, so have positioned for 'stability', then being on the left of the line would give you more recovery space. Of course, going slower could regain a margin for error too.

[It could also be argued that if you're travelling faster when you encounter a poor surface, you'll be over it sooner ;) ]

But, anyway, the discussion, and Stefluk's point, was position for view at 100+. Since police training is carried out all across the UK, there must be some Home Counties examples . . . ?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 am

B660 above Kimbolton? Parts of the A4 between Hungerford and Newbury?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:35 am

Gareth wrote:B660 above Kimbolton? Parts of the A4 between Hungerford and Newbury?

I did wonder about A338 Wantage - Hungerford e.g. (plucked almost at random, without a 'drive' through) https://goo.gl/maps/QJAWwGvj4K82 but even that location wouldn't seem to provide substantial additional view.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:52 am

Horse wrote:
Gareth wrote:B660 above Kimbolton? Parts of the A4 between Hungerford and Newbury?

I did wonder about A338 Wantage - Hungerford e.g. (plucked almost at random, without a 'drive' through) https://goo.gl/maps/QJAWwGvj4K82 but even that location wouldn't seem to provide substantial additional view.

I live not a zillion miles from Wantage and the loop A338 to Hungerford, A4 to Newbury, then the B4494 back to Wantage makes a nice little fun drive. Yes, there are bits where you can see for miles coming over the downs, and the old A4 is sometimes nearly deserted, but you can get stuck behind Mr40 coming out of Newbury on the B4494.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Triquet wrote:
Horse wrote: I did wonder about A338 Wantage - Hungerford e.g. (plucked almost at random, without a 'drive' through) https://goo.gl/maps/QJAWwGvj4K82 but even that location wouldn't seem to provide substantial additional view.

I live not a zillion miles from Wantage and the loop A338 to Hungerford, A4 to Newbury, then the B4494 back to Wantage makes a nice little fun drive. Yes, there are bits where you can see for miles coming over the downs . . .

And that's the point, if you can already see for miles then that's not the reason for offsiding.

Here's a place that might fit both 'see for miles' and gain additional visibility:
https://goo.gl/maps/dwV519eccnM2

But . . . see that stand of trees on the left, what might they be hiding?
Entrances both sides,with the one on the dropping down away from the road:
https://goo.gl/maps/qbU6PAaSiBF2

Stefluc1

Postby Stefluc1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm

You would be back or nearly back on the correct side of the road as you approach with advanced information on the cross view that there was potential danger approaching the road ,the view is only restricted from a near side approach so by extending straddle the centre line on the approach gives you equal distance for safety and opens the view to any traffic approaching from the side entrances.
By extending your road position it allows for better vehicle stability and a more straighter line remembering that a vehicle is most stable when travelling in a straight line with constant speed which this view gives you and you drive on what you see taking into account the what ifs. I am not stating that any of the pictures you have shown are 3 figure speeds what I am saying is there are some instances on some roads that are capable of it under the correct circumstances.
I don’t need to count the centre lines distance all I do is read what they are telling me and drive accordingly.
IAM Examiner cars and LGVs
ROSPA Examiner Cars and LGVs
National Police car Instructor

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Stefluc1 wrote: . . . 3 figure speeds what I am saying is there are some instances on some roads that are capable of it under the correct circumstances.

Looking forward to seeing the Streetview links of them.

Stefluc1 wrote: I don’t need to count the centre lines distance all I do is read what they are telling me and drive accordingly.

In real driving, I'd hope not :lol:

However, in the context of looking at a static image then trying to determine distances, they are an accurate and valuable source of information.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”