Second thoughts on offsiding

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
exportmanuk

Re: Second thoughts on offsiding

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:41 pm

My main worry with videos like this is the Police riders are very highly trained, Joe public isn't and I have seen some rider who have done a Bike Safe course adopting this style but without the comprehensive training or experience to do it safely. Riders watching videos without any proper guidance will be even more at risk.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:52 pm

I not heard of a Bike Safe course advocating off siding. Straightening, yes.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Some of the NW forces have. We are working with GMP ( new to Bikesafe) and their officer delivering the course. They are not promoting off siding but sometimes they forget and do it themselves so the novice thinks they should too.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

MichaelAC

Postby MichaelAC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Horse wrote:
MichaelAC wrote:I guess the rider was aware of the oncoming vehicle sooner than he would have been if he weren't off siding due to the improved view.

And the oncoming driver would have been aware sooner of a bike heading towards him at speed . . .

Yes, exactly that, it benefits both.

The biker was certainly travelling 'at speed' although I felt it was an appropriate speed for the conditions and even if they'd been travelling at 5 mph, it would have been 'at speed'.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:35 am

Benefits? It's generally acknowledged that people panic when they see emergency vehicles. And drivers can't estimate closing speeds accurately - many overtaking riders are flashed by oncoming drivers, I've had them flash when I've returned to the left and had time to wave at the driver before they pass.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

MichaelAC

Postby MichaelAC » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:53 pm

In my view most motorcyclists are better 'drivers' than car drivers are and I'm not a motorcyclist.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:01 pm

It's certainly harder, mentally and physically. But also requires a degree of optimism (ideally tempered with honest realism ;) ).

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:06 pm

MichaelAC wrote:In my view most motorcyclists are better 'drivers' than car drivers are and I'm not a motorcyclist.

I think it's difficult to generalise; some are good drivers, some are bored and detached while driving, and some make unwarranted assumptions that might work when riding. There's probably a large proportion that are don't stand out in a way that can be characterised, just as is the case for all drivers.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Gareth wrote: I think it's difficult to generalise

I never generalise ;)

MichaelAC

Postby MichaelAC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Gareth wrote:
MichaelAC wrote:In my view most motorcyclists are better 'drivers' than car drivers are and I'm not a motorcyclist.

I think it's difficult to generalise; some are good drivers, some are bored and detached while driving, and some make unwarranted assumptions that might work when riding. There's probably a large proportion that are don't stand out in a way that can be characterised, just as is the case for all drivers.

Its just my view, I didn't say all, I said most.

I used to ride a bike and it taught me what is probably the most important single skill a motorist can have; defensive driving/riding. I soon learned to ride as though no one could see me, therefore I always anticipated the worst scenario such as cars in side turnings driving out in front of me as if I wasn't there.

It isn't hard to generalise, I find it incredibly easy :lol:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”