Second thoughts on offsiding

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Second thoughts on offsiding

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 am

As I've posted before, an ex-Hampshire trafpol (who retired early and emigrated in the 80s) told me that on at least one of his advanced courses (he was double 1, car & bike) they had to remain in lane.

If I'd known that, 30+ years later, I'd be repeating it then I would have paid more attention :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Another thought occurs: while the inside circumference of the corner is more likely to be slippery, its also traversed by the inside wheels and so is unlikely to upset the car's balance too gravely.

This would make a case for straightening (or "shaving") corners (which requires an open view, of course), but not so much for offsiding.

Stefluc1

Postby Stefluc1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Sometimes I think people get mixed up with offsiding to mean that they use kerb edge to kerb edge for me when I cross the centre line that is offsiding as you are on the offside carriageway :D
I will move out when safe on the approach to a left hand bend and carry out a long tapered approach based on the information that comes to me resulting in either staying out and negotiating the bend with a view or tapering back in to the near side as the view lessens,it’s simple .
A lot of drivers move out too late and on doing so are met by oncoming traffic which can cause a reaction from both drivers and this is all due to the gathered information. What can be simpler why over complicate things .
IAM Examiner cars and LGVs
ROSPA Examiner Cars and LGVs
National Police car Instructor

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Stefluc1 wrote: . . . you position your vehicle for safety,view and stability and like most if you have an extreme offside position although I don’t know why you would travelling at the speed limit,it is only more advantageous at high speeds ie three figures and above however if you do it at whatever speed we have to do it safely.

I find it hard to understand how the combination of 'safety and' 'three figures' can be used in the context of moving offside because there's obscured view.

For want of something better as a guide, if we take the Highway Code figure for 70 then you're committed from 100yds back, so how much extra view will you gain from offsiding to support a choice of a 100mph+ approach?

Regular readers can scroll on past at this point, as they will have seen these before :)

http://the-ride-info-new.blogspot.com/2 ... ge-on.html Real bend, showing how much (or little) additional view is gained on the left by adoption of a very extended position.

Earliest full view of offside verge on approach to left bend

Oncoming driver's view of you (or not)

Driver's view from within lane - note shadow intersecting with left verge vanishing point

Driver's view from offside position - note further view to second darker shadow intersecting with left verge vanishing point

Initial shadow on left, second darker shadow is the angled shadow towards right

According to Chapter 5 http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/t ... ter-05.pdf , there should be a 3m gap between 6m lines

Therefore, the additional view gained from the offside position is C. 4m [NB 60mph = 29 metres per second]

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Are we using one example to extrapolate to all other situations?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Stefluc1

Postby Stefluc1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 pm

The argument of showing a couple of bends with closed views on approach are just stupid,the photos showing have everything against both offsiding and speed so what’s your point . If your not confident enough to drive and drive to a system then don’t try and justify why others who might should not.
An Advanced drivervis a thinking driver who is willing to accept change in every situation is what using the system does.
IAM Examiner cars and LGVs
ROSPA Examiner Cars and LGVs
National Police car Instructor

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:05 pm

To answer both:
Gareth: no, of course not.
Stefluck: find a bend where offsiding at 100+ can be justified while maintaining a clear stopping distance to the nearside Surprise Horizon and take some photos please. Or just a Google maps Street view link will do.

Whatever, those photos (however much they're not 'right' to support your views[sic])) clearly show that there is actually very limited gain in the nearside view. I'll happily listen if you can explain how you can bend light to see further :)
Last edited by Horse on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 pm

PS grow up and give up on the 'stupid' comments. If I'm wrong, prove it.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Horse wrote:To answer both:
Gareth: no, of course not.
Stefluck: find a bend where offsiding at 100+ can be justified while maintaining a clear stopping distance to the nearside Surprise Horizon and take some photos please. Or just a Google maps Street view link will do.

Whatever, those photos (however much they're not 'right' to support your views[sic])) clearly show that there is actually very limited gain in the nearside view. I'll happily listen if you can explain how you can bend light to see further :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.55129 ... 312!8i6656
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.58656 ... 312!8i6656
Although in both cases you might really want to be in the middle of the road to be as far from potential wildlife as possible.

Probably a few places on the IOM too.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Thanks, Jon. To clarify, are they "100+" locations? The reason I ask is because they are both different.

The A832 example I would happily use the full width, but from the view Google provides there is already a full view of the road width and surface, so no view is added from using an extended position.

The A890 is slightly different, as the verge on the left starts to obscure the road surface, so then the braking from speed (while in a curve) abilities become important. From the camera position, the distance to the point (on the image) where the verge is furthest out to the right (nothing magical, just easy to identify) is about 90m (from the white line markings) so already within the Highway Code 70m distance.

But the much beyond that starts to lose view of the road surface - and that's with the camera already offside and much higher than a usual driver's eye height. So is there, honestly and safely, a case for doing 100+ there?

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”