Let's Talk More

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
OldenBill

Re: Let's Talk More

Postby OldenBill » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Horse wrote:There's a saying someone posted, I think on here: 'courtesy causes confusion'. Being pro-social (random acts of kindness) has its place for making the world a better place. However, being helpful shouldn't p1$$ other people off in the process :)

I'm surprised that "courtesy" has been associated with "confusion" in this thread......if courtesy causes others to feel urinated away then they should, in my opinion, be ashamed to call themselves Advanced Drivers. Although, I did ask for advice on contemporary driving techniques and attitudes, for which I am grateful, I think I prefer the more caring attitude of those Halycon days beyond recall, when impatient drivers just overtook and disappeared through the nearest brick wall. :shock:

OldenBill

Postby OldenBill » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Gareth wrote:
OldenBill wrote:the original Three Cs Roadcraft maxim, "Care,Courtesy & Consideration" will still nag me when I see another motorist requiring help.

It's all very well to be courteous but best to avoid misplaced courtesy. There's an article on the Bristol IAM website that talks about this ...

I read the article, thanks. Still prefer courtesy. It is only misplaced when other motorists breach the Fourth "C" ... Concentration.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 am

OldenBill wrote:if courtesy causes others to feel urinated away then they should, in my opinion, be ashamed to call themselves Advanced Drivers.

Why do you not care how 'non-advanced' motorists feel or react?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

OldenBill

Postby OldenBill » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 am

Gareth wrote:
OldenBill wrote:if courtesy causes others to feel urinated away then they should, in my opinion, be ashamed to call themselves Advanced Drivers.

Why do you not care how 'non-advanced' motorists feel or react?

Gareth, you have already accused me of being unnecessarily pejorative and I tried to explain that you had misinterpreted my comments and I did very much care about other road users.

Now, for some undisclosed reason, you assume that I do not care about non-advanced drivers. Why do you feel it necessary on this forum, which I assumed was open to all serious motorists, not just the motoring elite, to be so confrontational? I posted here for informed and skilled guidance, admitting I was neither a fast car nor a motor cycle enthusiast but I have found your patronising bluntness most offensive. I shall trouble the Forum no more. Out!

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 am

Horse wrote:... when waiting to turn right across oncoming traffic[, w]ith the wheels straight ahead, if you get punted from behind then that's the direction you'll go. Wheels turned, however ...

Only if you get punted very gently, or your front tyres have got a huge amount of grip!

David

martine

Postby martine » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:33 am

kfae8959 wrote:...Only if you get punted very gently, or your front tyres have got a huge amount of grip!

True - but it does happen. One of our (Bristol Advanced Motorists) members is a policeman and only last year he had to attend a serious crash when exactly this happened - what would have been a rear-end shunt turned into a head-on. :shock:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:37 am

Horse wrote:There's a saying someone posted, I think on here: 'courtesy causes confusion'. Being pro-social (random acts of kindness) has its place for making the world a better place. However, being helpful shouldn't p1$$ other people off in the process :)

Hmm, I have a relation who insists on slowing, and flashing out, vehicles from side roads. They do this even when the major road has light traffic and are being followed by other vehicles. I've tried explaining about priority, give way lines, annoying/confusing following vehicles, danger of being rear ended, all to no avail. The response is that "everybody is in too much of a hurry these day". Sigh.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 am

There was a situation that would annoy me when supervising a learner. It wasn't the driver that stopped to let the learner emerge when trafic was fairly heavy, but the one who would stop when there was no driver other than themselves and the learner on the road. This places unnecessary pressure on learners in the early stages of learning because they feel pressured to get on with it which often results in a stall. This sort of courtesy is what I, and I think most on here would consider to be misplaced. It stems from a lack of observation, eg checking the mirrors.

Nigel.

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:

Hmm, I have a relation who insists on slowing, and flashing out, vehicles from side roads. They do this even when the major road has light traffic and are being followed by other vehicles. I've tried explaining about priority, give way lines, annoying/confusing following vehicles, danger of being rear ended, all to no avail. The response is that "everybody is in too much of a hurry these day". Sigh.

Nice to have all day to amble around. I don't, and I'm retired. Or it could be that my natural impatience surfaces too much, or at least, that's what my wife thinks.

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 am

kfae8959 wrote:
Horse wrote:... when waiting to turn right across oncoming traffic[, w]ith the wheels straight ahead, if you get punted from behind then that's the direction you'll go. Wheels turned, however ...

Only if you get punted very gently, or your front tyres have got a huge amount of grip!

David

I'm thinking of drivers with the footbrake on -get punted and their foot is likely to release so allowing all wheels to roll - possibly even foot off the clutch to driving too.

In higher speed collisions, though, you're right. It becomes car-shaped snooker . . . lines of travel will depend on degree of overlap between the two vehicles.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”