Let's Talk More

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
OldenBill

Let's Talk More

Postby OldenBill » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Members may recall me asking for guidance some time ago with contemporary driving practice, having like most people of my age passed the MOT test when far different from today’s. My Intro post was Roads they been a changin’

May I ask a new question in respect of the currently advised protocol for drivers to communicate their intentions to each other.

Referring to the very earliest Highway Codes (apart from Whip signals by carriage drivers) there was a recommended arm movement that indicated, “You may overtake me on my right”, later changed to, “I am ready to be overtaken”. This was discontinued after the War as overtakers were unwisely assuming it was safe to do so and ending up colliding with oncoming traffic.

Since then, the Codes have played safe and generally now warn against the flashing of headlights to signal “I am giving way” (restricting light signals to merely drawing attention) or inviting pedestrians to cross at Pedestrian Crossings. This is all sound advice but I have noticed that many drivers, perhaps to avoid litigation, will stop and leave a gap for another vehicle to pull out but just sit there and glare impatiently, perhaps assuming some sort of psychic message would soon follow. I recall a similar impasse would occur when making the “three point turn” on Test. My instructor was quite happy to wave a waiting vehicle through himself but told me I would fail the Test if I did it myself.

I entirely understand that, as with most things Motoring, it is all a matter of judgement but I would welcome hearing other people’s experiences and comments on this point. :?:

angus

Re: Let's Talk More

Postby angus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:02 pm

I know what you mean about the impasse that sometimes occurs, but eye contact usually resolves these matters.

What was the arm movement to encourage an overtake?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:42 pm

angus wrote:What was the arm movement to encourage an overtake?

Either "I intend to move in to the left" or "I intend to slow down or stop"
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm

OldenBill wrote:Let's Talk More

If a conclusion through discussion is elusive, I find exploring by doing very helpful. Try to take part in a driving day sometime ...

OldenBill wrote:This is all sound advice but I have noticed that many drivers, perhaps to avoid litigation, will stop and leave a gap for another vehicle to pull out but just sit there and glare impatiently, perhaps assuming some sort of psychic message would soon follow.

How do you know your perception aligns with what the main players in the action are thinking and feeling?

Like Angus I find eye contact backed up by a smiley face seems to work quite well, perhaps coupled with patience, and eventually, maybe rolling eyes when you move off after they've declined.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Gareth wrote:
angus wrote:What was the arm movement to encourage an overtake?

Either "I intend to move in to the left" or "I intend to slow down or stop"

When I took my driving test hand signals had to be done throughout,which meant keeping the window down, which is why we would pray for good weather on the day of the test.

The overtaking signal was arm dropped down and moved backward and forward. Slowing down or stopping...arm straight out and moving up and down. Turning left...arm rotating anti clockwise. Turning right ...arm straight out. There were also hand signals to be given to police on point duty at junctions.

That’s what I did and got a pass.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Eye contact can be very helpful. I think the best advice is when in doubt revert to the Highway Code. That way every one should understand. I say should but I do wonder sometimes if some drivers can remember anything in the HC.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:01 pm

jcochrane wrote:Eye contact can be very helpful. I think the best advice is when in doubt revert to the Highway Code. That way every one should understand. I say should but I do wonder sometimes if some drivers can remember anything in the HC.

It's pretty obvious a very large number of drivers can't. TBH, with the lack of trafpol these days I wonder why we bother at all :headbang:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm one of those who will leave a gap, if safe, in queuing traffic, but it is the other drivers responsibility to decide if it is safe for them to make the move. It's the same with NOT waving peds across. They have to take responsibility for their own safety.

So, I'll make it easier for others, if safe to do so, but the decision to move/proceed/cross etc. is all their own.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

OldenBill

Postby OldenBill » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 pm

angus wrote:
What was the arm movement to encourage an overtake? It was lowering the arm downwards, cupping the hand and moving both forward. I have the 1931 first edition and can link to some of the signals if anyone is interested......I think that signalling with a whip may still have merits!

OldenBill

Postby OldenBill » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm one of those who will leave a gap, if safe, in queuing traffic, but it is the other drivers responsibility to decide if it is safe for them to make the move. It's the same with NOT waving peds across. They have to take responsibility for their own safety.

So, I'll make it easier for others, if safe to do so, but the decision to move/proceed/cross etc. is all their own

Totally agree, Mike. The risk is taken by the accepting driver. But I find that some drivers will indeed "leave a gap" (as you do) and then quickly drive forward again; making eye contact with a motorist behind you is not particularly reliable and that is when, personally, I think a headlight flash by the gap leaver, while stationary, would be much safer than just abstaining from any communication at all.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”