Let's Talk More

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Let's Talk More

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 am

Gareth wrote: That seems unnecessarily pejorative. If a driver isn't ready to join the stream of traffic, why would anyone bother waiting for them to get ready?

It astounds me when there are drivers waiting to emerge - but apparently off in their own little world, not even aware of the traffic around them, let alone looking to use any space provided.

Gareth wrote: Similarly, if someone is travelling in a steady stream of traffic, why would they significantly interrupt that flow to let someone out of a side turning? It only makes sense to give extra space when already stopped or slowing to a very low speed.

Or when there is no suitable gap one or two vehicles behind :roll:

I will sometimes make space for a vehicle waiting which has to cross the opposing lane if there is a suitable gap in the oncoming flow which will 'cross' as I'm there too. ie I will facilitate them by creating a gap both ways. Does that make sense? [One example is on my route home, where oncoming traffic is often held by a pedestrian crossing, creating a gap, so I (and others) will create a matching gap for traffic to cross from either side (consecutive T junctions)]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 pm

What is all this talk of being passed by a lorry? :o :D
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:35 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:What is all this talk of being passed by a lorry? :o :D

Like the 6 wheel tipper truck I saw overtaking people this morning.

In lane 3 (of 3) of the narrow lanes (yes, with width restrictions in force on lanes 2 & 3) section of the M4 roadworks :shock: :o :?

He pulled out to lane 2 in the standard lane widths on the lead in to the works to overtake another HGV. Approaching the lane restrictions he braked (other driver didn't slow at all :x ), then decided to accelerate again, pulled out to lane 3 to continue on past the HGV in L1, then continued on for a further mile in L3 (with no other traffic on his left) before returning to L1! :hit:

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:What is all this talk of being passed by a lorry? :o :D

Keeping slightly above the indicated speed limit in motorway roadworks, where some heavies like to go a bit quicker, for example.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:55 pm

I think a lot of HGV drivers will carry on driving up against the limiter, doing 56mph, through 50 limits in roadworks because 56 is less than 50+10%+2mph. The chance of getting a ticket is negligible unless Police decide to ignore the usual guidelines and tatrget any excess.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 pm

If enforcement cameras are installed (and they're real cameras, not dummies), if they're operating, if the enforcement team haven't reached their capacity to process the paperwork . . .

OldenBill

Postby OldenBill » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Horse wrote:
Gareth wrote: That seems unnecessarily pejorative. If a driver isn't ready to join the stream of traffic, why would anyone bother waiting for them to get ready?

Horse wrote:Horse
It astounds me when there are drivers waiting to emerge - but apparently off in their own little world, not even aware of the traffic around them, let alone looking to use any space provided.

I am sorry if I have appeared pejorative of other drivers. I do try to look for the best in other motorists but I can only describe my personal experience and that is that many today seem totally involved with their own affairs and apparently unaware of other road users around them. Although Horse is justifiably referring to drivers who are unable to respond quickly to the kind gestures of others, he makes my point for me that many others are totally unaware of outside events.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I clearly need to move forward again with my own driving attitude, although the original
Three Cs Roadcraft maxim, "Care,Courtesy & Consideration" will still nag me when I see another motorist requiring help. Clearly the volume and speed of vehicles since those days has vastly increased but the current pressure on drivers to get from A to B probably explains the general feeling I am picking up from your posts, which is that the Three Cs are now less important than the need for traffic flow and personal risk avoidance.

As Trumpy would say Great Job, Proper Job, Amazing Job! :cheers:

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Regards 'turning the wheels', worth noting that there's one situation where that's not a good idea. That's when waiting to turn right across oncoming traffic. With the wheels straight ahead, if you get punted from behind then that's the direction you'll go. Wheels turned, however ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 pm

There's a saying someone posted, I think on here: 'courtesy causes confusion'. Being pro-social (random acts of kindness) has its place for making the world a better place. However, being helpful shouldn't p1$$ other people off in the process :)

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 pm

OldenBill wrote:the original Three Cs Roadcraft maxim, "Care,Courtesy & Consideration" will still nag me when I see another motorist requiring help.

It's all very well to be courteous but best to avoid misplaced courtesy. There's an article on the Bristol IAM website that talks about this ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”