Best driving roads - based on Maths

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
akirk

Best driving roads - based on Maths

Postby akirk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:01 pm

Avis earlier this year worked with a quantum physicist, an F1 track designer and a roller coaster designer to build a formulaic approach to defining the best driving roads:

http://www.avisbestroad.com/uk/

coming up with this formula

apparently there are four key features:
- bends
- accelerating
- cruising
- braking
(seems obvious so far!)

what they did was map roads found on top gear / forums / etc. and determine the various ratios - leading to a belief that the best ratio is 10:1 (10 seconds on a straight for every 1 second around a bend)

for the scientifically inclined - the fuller maths story is here:
http://www.avisbestroad.com/downloads/V ... rkings.pdf

Alasdair

Rick448

Re: Best driving roads - based on Maths

Postby Rick448 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:10 pm

And there was me thinking the M1 was going to feature. I've not had chance to read it all yet but does the formula take into account speed cameras, Police presence and the liklihood of having your licence relieved from you? Because I assume these great driving roads are not meant to be savoured at 60 mph.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Im not sure how i feel about this. Seems like a brilliant waste of time, much like a rube goldberg machine. Pointless, but satisfying.

Then again, it's like trying to decide whether Mozart is better than Handle by constructing an equation based on notation values, pitch, rests and dynamics. It doesnt work like that.
Adam.

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:49 pm

Interesting. I don't entirely agree with their analysis, but I've occasionally found myself wishing for a satnav that could do something like this (i.e. take me from X to Y in 3 hours by the most fun route). I've just googled it, and apparently such things (approximately) do exist.

As far as their calculation goes, I think they're doing fine up until they declare that you should want to spend 10s going straight for every second turning... I'd much rather see a metric that took into account how much variation there was.

Revian

Postby Revian » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:46 am

As Adamxck.....Fun and Interesting.... if mathematically fatally flawed not least by the omission of the vehicle being driven.

'Mozart or Handle'? I'd always rather have the handle for crank starting. All Mozart does is sit and watch... :D

Ian
Ian

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:07 am

Pyrolol wrote:As far as their calculation goes, I think they're doing fine up until they declare that you should want to spend 10s going straight for every second turning... I'd much rather see a metric that took into account how much variation there was.

I think that you are right - this fails at a theoretical level, but perhaps in reality as no road is uniform in its straights and bends it does actually work as the organic nature of the road means that this ratio gives the variety you would want...

what I think they are missing though is terrain - hills / downhills / hump-back bridges / dips - they all add to the fun :)

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:24 am

Adamxck wrote:Im not sure how i feel about this. Seems like a brilliant waste of time

The clue is probably in the 'Avis' bit.

Companies commission 'research' then use it to get publicity.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:18 pm

I think I'd rather judge a good driving road through the seat of my pants.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Personally, I'd rather drive a car along it... :lol:
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Lurching back to reality the A271/272 on a very quiet day are probably my favourites in the MX5.

There's an awful lot of roads in Spain and France as well.

I don't feel the need to have Avis advise me; the interpretation of 'driving' seems to be at odds.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”