Lane Conflict

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
OldenBill

Lane Conflict

Postby OldenBill » Wed May 23, 2018 8:41 pm

On joining the forum, I posted in the Introduction section explaining how driving techniques had changed over my sixty years of motoring and saying how I would appreciate comments on "trending" departures from received practice.

My understanding is that overtaking on the nearside is traditionally not permitted unless the vehicle ahead has signalled right or they are moving slowly in different lanes at different speeds. I also believe that vehicles (particularly on motorways) are required to move as soon a practicable to a nearside lane to allow faster drivers to proceed unobstructed in an outer lane.

However, I have recently experienced conflict at roundabouts and two lane traffic lights where right turning vehicles take up the nearside lane and proceed to undertake at speed others in the correct right-turn lane simultaneously signally their return to the nearside. The manoeuvre is particularly dangerous as the fast moving left-hand vehicle is hidden in the blind spot of the returning one and only makes its presence known by hooting, gesturing and abuse.

Do members feel that this is a growing and now acceptable practice best generally adopted or do they tend towards the status quo? Comments or suggestions for avoiding danger by Members more in touch with modern practice would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Lane Conflict

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Growing, but not acceptable unless the lanes have right turn arrows in them when they're OK to be there but not to be over (under) taking. So thoroughly anti-social. HTH.
Nick

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:28 pm

OldenBill wrote: [...]right turning vehicles take up the nearside lane and proceed to undertake at speed others in the correct right-turn lane simultaneously signally their return to the nearside.

Can I check what you are describing? Someone wants to turn right, but drives along a lane to the left of traffic also wishing to turn right, all the while signalling left? That would be so obviously confusing that I must have misunderstood.

David

martine

Postby martine » Thu May 24, 2018 6:42 am

Yes it does happen but I wouldn't say it's common. Are you sure the other lane doesn't have a right turn arrow (on the road or a sign) as well? I'm assuming there is only one lane on the exit road?

If you are in the right lane you need to be checking nearside mirror and blindspot early (just before you pass the exit you don't want) for the move off the roundabout and as early as you can, then change your indicator to the left to give maximum warning. Careful lane positioning (i.e. towards the left of your right-turn lane) might encourage those under-takers to hold back.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

OldenBill

Postby OldenBill » Thu May 24, 2018 6:56 am

Hi David. The junction or roundabout may or may not provide right-turn white lane arrows (generally not) but the vehicles in the nearside lane are signalling right or not at all, certainly not left. My "complaint" is that they are using their inside lane to undertake on the turn at speed on the nearside, thereby preventing a driver in the recommended outside lane observing them in their mirrors and returning to the left with safety. It may be that I need to make a further update to my own driving plans but using the current Highway Code recommendations is clearly becoming dangerous. Your further thoughts appreciated.

OldenBill

Postby OldenBill » Thu May 24, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks, Martine. I do understand your comments, particularly with regard to roundabouts. However, my "limited" but frightening experiences have occurred when two lanes are available for right turning leading to two exit lanes, but vehicles are speeding through on the nearside thereby preventing outside lane users returning to the nearside and soon turning left. I suppose my simple question is do I continue to take the right hand lane for turning right or join the nearside queue assuming I am now allowed to accelerate past outsider lanes when I have completed my right turn.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 am

I'm still a little confused. In your reply to Martine you say two entry lanes and two exit lanes both right turning.

Can you give us a link to an example on Google Maps.

If you are in lane 2 and vehicles are legally allowed to turn right from lane 1, how are they able to go faster than you? Should you be using lane 1?

An awful lot depends on the layout of the RAB so an example would really help the discussion.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Thu May 24, 2018 8:02 am

Is it something like this, where Northbound A43 traffic can go right on both lanes?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.04175 ... !1e3?hl=en

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu May 24, 2018 8:20 am

https://goo.gl/maps/kPQhKGE5BcR2

Centre & right lanes both clearly marked for right turn only.

I don't seem a problem with the manoeuvre, but it could be the [higher] speed of execution that's the issue. And, of course, if the person using the rh lane to negotiate the junction moves to the left on during or after exiting from the roundabout but without sufficient checks (but also the driver on the left partially contributing by putting themselves where they can be got.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 am

Oh - the motorcycle-specific version of the Highway Code permits this sort of action in any lane under any circumstances.

Perhaps.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”