Clarity of Purpose

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
MrToad

Re: Clarity of Purpose

Postby MrToad » Fri May 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Gareth wrote:
MrToad wrote:Other road users are overly engaged with, rather than effectively dispatched.

This part feels a little awkward as effective dispatch sometimes isn't far away from a brusque attitude towards other road users. On the other hand I like a certain directness in the manner by which a driver negotiates fixed and mobile hazards.

Fair point - should have said 'dispassionately and swiftly dealt with'. Part of what I'm thinking about is finding the line between prioritising potentially selfish goals, and being a team player with other road users.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri May 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Horse wrote:“Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was kind of driving by instinct, only I was in a different dimension. I was way over the limit; but still I was able to find even more. It frightened me, because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding.”

Sounds like it was his first experience which can be very scary, that feeling of letting go and feeling you’re out of control. Having met Senna a few times I am not in the slightest surprised that he found it so uncomfortable and reacted as he did.

MrToad

Postby MrToad » Fri May 11, 2018 9:37 pm

I think being 'in the zone' (AKA 'flow' - Wikipedia link) is a slightly different thing, although it's a fascinating and desirable state to be able to achieve.

I'd like to know more about the Senna thing though - you'd think he'd have been looking to attain and maintain that kind of state as much as possible. The Wikipedia article contains this version:

Senna wrote:"I was already on pole, [...] and I just kept going. Suddenly I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my team mate with the same car. And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. It was like I was in a tunnel."

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 pm

I heard about it several years ago and found that quote from a very quick Google. There's probably more detail elsewhere. The way I heard it, he didn't feel in control, or that it was sustainable, so stopped.

But back to the theme, there's probably two aspects: distraction, ie how much attention is the driver consciously giving (or avoiding) the driving task, and what the driver considers acceptable - they may be fully aware of what could and should be done . . . but just CBA. Of course, there will be other drivers who, sadly, don't have a clue as to what can easily be achieved.

Does that make sense?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”