Clutch - heel & toe

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Clutch - heel & toe

Postby Horse » Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

jcochrane wrote: may be that he only pushes the clutch far enough to separate the clutch plates and not to the floor.

If pushing the clutch pedal all the way down it usually requires allowing the toes to flex backwards at the fullest extent of clutch travel. The toes come into play and not just the ball of the foot. Try this to see of it works for you.

Particularly with 'up' changes, which don't require the clutch to be fully depressed (unlike first gear pull away), it's quite feasible to just pivot from the ankle, retaining contact with the floor. Slightly more uncomfortable on down changes where, perhaps, I'm putting more effort into smoothly releasing the clutch.

At a standstill, though, it's different. Foot 'back' (ie toes towards shin) heel against the floor, clutch pedal contact initially with the ball of foot. Depressing the clutch moves that contact point to toes. However, what I think happens is that the heel slides slightly (need to be aware of this a bit more to confirm). Releasing pressure moves foot contact through from toes to arch and is uncomfortable and doesn't feel controlled. More practice/awareness on the way home tonight!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Clutch - heel & toe

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I felt sure that option 1 (your first paragraph) would work.

Difficult to analyse in print option 2 (second paragraph) but it sound probably my fault. With engine off depress the clutch fully down and adjust foot so the the toes flex towards you. (it will feel like you are pressing the pedal with your toes.) Place heel on floor and slowly pivot foot towards you (still keeping heel on the floor) This should give you a reference point as to where to initially place your heel and the contact point on the pedal.

Then start again by using the reference points identified above and then depressing the clutch. If it does not quite work repeat but this time start with the heel placement a little closer to you. When correct it does feel like you are pushing with the toes, particularly at full depression.

I have come across some drivers who set themselves up slightly differently. Instead of memorising the heel placement position they start off by consciously thinking of operating the clutch with the toes rather than the ball of the foot. This was how I first learnt this technique mainly because as child my legs were not long enough and it was the only way to depress the clutch far enough down get passed past the bite point.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”