Hands on the wheel

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
crr003

Re: Associate cannot keep to the speed limit

Postby crr003 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I often get associates to steer with one hand, to get rid of nervousness and over-steering. Hopefully this is fixed by test time, but even if it isn't, one hand is most often dominant, so I tell them to concentrate on just one hand, which helps with the relaxation and reduces contention between the two.

Cool story....... :gear: (well it was when it was in the wrong topic....)
Last edited by crr003 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jont-

Re: Hands on the wheel

Postby jont- » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Go see Andy Walsh at car limits and see whether your two handed steering is better than his one finger at the high speed bend :lol:

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I often get associates to steer with one hand, to get rid of nervousness and over-steering. Hopefully this is fixed by test time, but even if it isn't, one hand is most often dominant, so I tell them to concentrate on just one hand, which helps with the relaxation and reduces contention between the two.

Above or below the speed limit? ;)
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix broken tags
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Horse wrote:Above or below the speed limit? ;)

At the appropriate speed ;) (remember I'm coaching for RoSPA)

The point, of course, is that most people can steer perfectly safely with one hand, and before they embark on AD, they probably haven't used two to drive in a straight line since they passed their driving test. Now we have to teach them to have two on the wheel again, so this introduces new problems.

I'm sure waremark will be along shortly to remind us that one hand is the favoured method in Swedish ice-driving school...
Nick

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 pm

martine wrote:what is the advantage of one-handed steering?

It enables a technique called pull-push steering :P
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Horse wrote:Above or below the speed limit? ;)

At the appropriate speed ;) (remember I'm coaching for RoSPA)

The point, of course, is that most people can steer perfectly safely with one hand, and before they embark on AD, they probably haven't used two to drive in a straight line since they passed their driving test. Now we have to teach them to have two on the wheel again, so this introduces new problems.

I'm sure waremark will be along shortly to remind us that one hand is the favoured method in Swedish ice-driving school...

No, but he might point out you've posted this in the 'speed limit' thread, not the 'steering' one ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Horse wrote:No, but he might point out you've posted this in the 'speed limit' thread, not the 'steering' one ;)

Oops! :oops:
Nick

martine

Postby martine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Gareth wrote:
martine wrote:what is the advantage of one-handed steering?

It enables a technique called pull-push steering :P

:lol: ...you know what I mean.

I was sitting alongside a young driver last weekend who did a 45 minute route from South Bristol into some rural twisties and back and did nearly the whole thing one-handed. They were asked to drive as they would if I wasn't there...and they did (well steering-wise anyway). The left hand spend almost all the time on the gear-stick.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 pm

martine wrote:I was sitting alongside a young driver last weekend who did a 45 minute route from South Bristol into some rural twisties and back and did nearly the whole thing one-handed.

Did they crash?

We haven't mentioned it yet, because it's so very obvious we forget, but modern cars with heavily power-assisted steering don't need effort to steer, just directional input.

This was one of the late Sir John Whitmore's pet peeves about the AD community. I haven't turned into him yet, but I don't worry too much about the rigid requirement for two hands at a particular location on the wheel any more.
Nick

martine

Postby martine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:...Did they crash?

No but steering was jerky and at a couple of points they had to react quickly and I felt they would have been more controlled had they had 2 hands on/near the wheel.

One-handed steering seems to be pretty endemic in the non-AD community and when I ask why, people mutter things about it being 'comfortable' and 2-handed steering is 'how learners drive'.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”