Associate cannot keep to the speed limit

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
waremark

Associate cannot keep to the speed limit

Postby waremark » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm

I have often found that one of the things Associates preparing for an Advanced Driving test find hardest is keeping to the speed limit. Typically, the problem arises in 30 limits where it is safe to drive at significantly more than 30. For the Advanced Driving test, most examiners would allow only a very small amount of leeway; no-one would be failed for drifting a couple of miles an hour over, but I would expect more than 5 mph over more than once to result in a fail.

My current Associate is still finding it impossible to keep within those parameters after 9 sessions, and I have not been able to come up with any strategies to help. I think the problem is a combination of forgetting what the speed limit is and not being aware of her speed. She drives an automatic turbo-diesel - powerful and quiet.

BTW, when people are holier than thou about speed limits and claim that they always obey them I tend to doubt that they are correct. My observing experience shows me that conscientious drivers attempting to observe all speed limits very often find it difficult to do so.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for my current associate? Thanks.

akirk

Re: Associate cannot keep to the speed limit

Postby akirk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:20 pm

does the auto box have a 'manual mode' - if so, would it work to pop it in a lower gear?
Is it all speed limits? Or just the 30mph - if so, perhaps a mental trick of pretending it is 20mph might mean that she can slip over and still be under 30mph

I think that one of the issues is that drivers think down to the 30mph limit (i.e. I have to slow down to 30mph) meaning that they feel successful once they hit 30mph - so it becomes very easy to slip above... rather than thinking up to the 30mph, meaning that it is easier to stay below (if that makes sense!)

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Speed limiter?

Cruise control ... one for much debate ;)

Manual mode ... back to the discussion on responsive gear.

Footwear?

Get them to listen to the engine. Get them to drive at a constant 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70 in the gear the auto uses for cruising and get them to really listen to the sounds.

Big stick to beat them with ... Not in the IAM Observers manual! :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 pm

waremark wrote:...
My current Associate is still finding it impossible to keep within those parameters after 9 sessions, and I have not been able to come up with any strategies to help. I think the problem is a combination of forgetting what the speed limit is and not being aware of her speed. She drives an automatic turbo-diesel - powerful and quiet.

Is she scanning, and does that include instruments? Can she read the speed on the display (eyesight)?
Does she feel intimidated/tailgated/"I don't want to hold people up"?
She knows when she's going into a 30? Tell her if you have to say "speed" in the 30, she owes you 50p/a Werther's each time.

I remember my Observer spending a whole session in 30s to break me of the habit. Crikey that was dull but effective.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 pm

I find putting mine in to sport mode in 30s keeps it in a lower gear and a little more engine noise
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Ask the associate to find a safe place to stop, then wait . . . ""Why did you ask me to stop?" Have a guess . . . ;)

More seriously, why is the associate with you? If it's to pass the test, then you (or any Obs) can't ok a test application. The motivation must come from them, if she wants to pass, she will have to keep within the limit.

If she has another reason, then that will have to provide the motivation.

Although you say it's safe to drive above 30 there (presumably you haven't voiced that to the candidate), why is it likely that the speed limit is low there? [Map link?]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

angus

Postby angus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:47 pm

I"ve an old sat nav where you could set a maximum speed and it would sound an alarm if that was exceeded. I expect one of the gps speed apps has a similar facility

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:52 am

Thanks for all the ideas. Some will help. This is a good way to use the forum.

I particularly like "stick to beat them with ... Not in the IAM Observers manual! :)"!

"More seriously, why is the associate with you?"

Perhaps not surprising that she had been done for speeding - way over the 70 on a motorway. Me "what speed were you intending to drive?" She "at the speed limit". So this is not a new problem.

And when on drive no 9 I pointed out that we were over 70 on a motorway she said "oh dear, I had the warning buzzer set for 70, the garage must have cancelled it when the car was serviced".

Exceeding the speed limit several times was the only aspect of that drive which would have caused her to fail an advanced test - to her own extreme annoyance at herself.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:50 am

isn't that a sign of disengagement with car / driving though - she was relying on the car to tell her when she was wrong and was so disengaged that she didn't even check that the buzzer was set - a whole heap of assumptions there...

maybe she needs to take control of her driving?!

take all the electronic controls off - go for a drive - she has to give you / a charity £5 every time she exceeds the speed limit... she would soon learn - the rest is simply excuses and palming responsibility off onto a machine - not a surprise as that is the way driving seems to be going - but less usual in the AD world...

it seems as though she wants to be within the speed limit just so that she is not done for speeding - but doesn't want to actually change / take responsibility for it...

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 am

akirk wrote:it seems as though she wants to be within the speed limit just so that she is not done for speeding - but doesn't want to actually change / take responsibility for it...

I think that's the vast majority of drivers in a nutshell. A bit like all the locals who only want everyone /else/ do be done for speeding in their village :roll:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”